On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 1:21 AM, John <jr_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Fairfield Lifer
> <fairfield.li...@...> wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 2:09 PM, John <jr_...@...> wrote:
>>

>> > The present caste system is an abomination of the varna system.
> The
>> > caste system is a justification for discrimination.  On the other
>> > hane, the varna system recognizes the natural talent of the
> people to
>> > contribute work for the betterment and prosperity of society.
>>

>> Thanks for placing your comments in the middle of 4-5 other people's
>> replies, so trying to figure out where to snip was a major chore.
>>
>> You just aren't getting Maharishi's contention that the workings of
>> the Universe are just.  Maharishi has explained to us how a
> planeload
>> full of people going down in a crash are meant to be on the plane
> and
>> there are no accidents, there are no innocent victims.
>>
>> There's also no discrimination, if we look at the world that way.
> Not
>> between genders, people of different sexual orientations, tall,
> short,
>> fair skinned, dark skinned.  You're born into the right family.
> After
>> all, Maharishi asserted that the Brahmin pundits have something
>> special in their DNA which makes it possible for them alone to
> enliven
>> the Vedas.  I heard enough rumors from TM teachers in the early days
>> about blacks and their very limited participation in learning and
>> staying with TM as an indication that they are the sons of Cain.  I
>> heard this talk from much too many initiators to not believe that
>> Maharishi had mentioned this sort of thing on a course.  What's
>> interesting is that the initiators didn't think this belief odd at
>> all.  It was all part of the cosmic plan as described by Maharishi.
>>

> Are you kidding me? (a la Jim Mora of beer commercial fame)  OK.
> It's a practical joke.

Am I kidding you about what Maharishi said?  Absolutely not.  He went
through about 6 tapes that I remember (and I saw them enough to be
able to recite them, still) that there are no accidents and there are
no innocent victims, that people are born to fulfill their dharma and
karma.  I'm not kidding you one bit.  There are an amazing number of
people in the TMO who will tell you with total faith that there is
something special in the DNA of the pundits which allow them to do
their special thing with vibrations and creation.  The TMO was taking
great pains to assemble brahmin boys from each of the families from
around India and pointed that out numerous times.  Maharishi felt that
each family represented something unique and all of them should be
represented in the groups of pundits.

About the blacks? I am not kidding you.  I could easily rattle off the
names of the initiators and later governors who spoke about blacks
that way.  It was often the topic of lunch or dinner conversation on
residence courses.  The question would arise "where are the blacks?"
or "why aren't there any blacks involved in TM?".  It's a very
righteous question to ask but people like Peter immediately want to
turn that question into a racist one.  It's a relevant question even
to this day.  Why, except for the foreign students on campus at MUM
are their very few blacks in TM in the US?  Why are there just a
couple in the domes?  Valid question.  A question that was answered by
a number of initiators and governors the way I've already stated.  Was
the response racist?  Yes, of course.  But the question goes
unanswered.  I'll ask it right now.  If TM is so good, then why did
campaigns in the black community fail?  Where the blacks not
interested or were they not approached properly?  Is it racist to say
that the black community needs to be approached a certain way to be
enticed into starting TM?

Now do I agree with Maharishi?  I don't think we should have a caste
system or say that women are born to full this purpose, men are
fulfilled to fulfill that purpose.  The next logical thing is that
this man was born blind, this woman was born lame and we do nothing
about it because, well, it's their karma/dharma.   It gets to be
fatalistic.  OTOH Maharishi's explanation as to why a whole planeful
of people crash together does make sense.  Do I think that the
particular DNA of the pundits matters?  No, I don't.  But maybe when I
get to Maharishi's level I'll perceive that it matters clearly.