--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "BillyG." <wg...@...> wrote:

> If you read MMY's Bhagavad Gita Appendix on Yoga you will find this
> comment, quote:  "With the continuous practice of all these limbs,
or
> means, simultaneously, the state of Yoga grows simultaneously in all
> the eight spheres of life...." MMY HB pg363
>
> Notice he uses the term *means*, this is very significant as he is
> suggesting here that each limb is a method in and of itself (as
> recommended by Maharishi Patanjali) to gain the state of Yoga.

I always thought that he meant that, yes, practise of any of the 8
limbs leads to enlightenment but the 8th limb -- samadhi -- is the
one to go to first.  And by practising TM, you get the benefit of
simultaneous practise of all 8 limbs.

Now, whether that prescription works or not, I cannot say because I
am neither yet enlightened nor a Vedic scholar.

But it does make sense to me, that capturing the fort first thing.

You know, I practise hatha yoga (more than just the set we're taught
as part of the TM rounding program).  To do JUST hatha yoga, for me,
would not be a very effective way to go to enlightenment.  But I
cannot imagine NOT doing it. I think it's value is to smooth out the
stress release (the karma-burning) that is the result of the TM
practise.

But there are people I run into that wholeheartedly believe that
hatha yoga is a path unto itself. Well, who am I to tell them it
isn't?  But it isn't for me.

> I think this proves that TM, as taught today, is *Yoga-lite for
> modernity*, in spite of his later remarks where he sugar-coated,
IMO,