--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "lurkernomore20002000"
<steve.sun...@...> wrote:

> Not sure if this makes any sense, but I find it kind of
> incredible when people respond with "softened" emotions,
> rather than "hardened" emotions.

Having responded once with tongue firmly
in cheek, I'll respond more seriously. I
don't think that what you're referring to
is "hardened" emotions but "manufactured"
emotions.

My "take" on the dynamic of FFL in which
some respond to minor provocation with a
major display of emotion is that they are
*indulging* in the emotion because they
don't actually feel much emotion most of
the time. They don't feel (or at any rate
don't write here about feeling) emotion
about the quiet and subtle things in life.
Stuff like the appreciation of a great
sunrise or sunset, the laughter of child-
ren, the way your body feels after a good
run.

Marek is a clear example of someone who
*is* capable of doing this. His posts on
surfing and his and Edg's posts on the rush
of Trikking are often the closest we get to
positive emotions on this forum. And I am
not exactly the "gold standard" in this
regard, either; I sometimes gush about
movies I have seen that turn me on, but too
often I don't express enought positive
emotion, either.

But negative emotion? That we've got in
spades. Let someone suggest a way of seeing
a poster that doesn't jibe with that poster's
way of seeing themselves, and the snit hits
the fan. It often feels as if they take in the
minor provocation and shoot it up like meth
and then react emotionally *as if it had been
a major provocation*.

A joke about someone becoming so angry that
they burst into flames as a result of spon-
taneous combustion becomes a "death threat."
Someone pointing out a racist remark made by
a person who once *bragged* about being a
racist becomes an issue so emotional that
the person threatens real-world retaliation.
Someone criticizes (or worse, laughs at) Maha-
rishi and others react as if *they* had been
criticized, or attacked physically. Point out
that Hillary Clinton has a proven track record
as more of a creator of conflict rather than
a resolver of it, and some turn that into a
slur against all women.

I'm not actually *complaining* about all this
"manufactured emotion." It's what makes FFL
entertaining. It's like watching a soap opera.
High drama, low consciousness.

My suggestion for WHY "manufactured emotion"
is more acceptable here on FFL than real emo-
tion is that that's the situation in the TMO
as well. There are certain situations in which
an over-display of emotion are considered
"good" and others in which an over-display of
emotion are considered "bad."

"Good" emotions include bhakti meltdowns when
talking about Maharishi, Guru Dev, and God.
Another "good" emotion is righteous anger, when
someone says something negative about any of
that holy trinity, or TM itself. "Bad" emotions
involve anything that suggests that you're still
(spit) human, and mired in Maya, like...uh...
tolerance of opinions that differ from yours,
or tolerance of someone perceiving Maharishi,
TM, the TMO, or you differently than you'd like
them to be perceived.

Stick with the "good" emotions, and amplify
them out of proportion. That's the FFL Way.