--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "raunchydog" <raunchy...@...> wrote:

> Edg, Thanks for sharing what fatherhood means to you.
> Beautiful. You are a fortunate man to have allowed
> yourself the experience of a profoundly loving
> relationship with your children at their birth.
> Very touching.

I'll admit to having read the following 14 lines,
mainly because I was curious as to what would
impress a Raunchydog. And I'll give both Raunchy
and Edg my honest opinion.

It's *exactly the same kind of language* you hear
from Dads hauled into court for child or spousal
abuse. Ask Dr. Pete or Marek.

*Every one of them* can trot out stuff like this.
As well they should. They've practiced it often,
every time they've had to try to talk their wives
out of divorcing them.

IMO it's a form of "channeling." Ashamed of not
being able to control their lower emotions, they
think that they can somehow justify them by, for
a short period of time, channeling a "higher"
emotion to paint themselves as sympathetic and
merely misunderstood.

I don't buy it. I suspect that Edg writes this
way about his kids because they won't have anything
to do with him, and writing about them like this
is the closest he can get to them. We've all seen
how he lashes out at anyone who doesn't buy his
act here on FFL; can we imagine that he'd be any
different in a family situation?

I might be wrong about this, but that's how the
following paragraph strikes me. I'm helping to
raise a new baby myself, the daughter of my best
friend. And it's really neat. But so far I haven't
felt the need to write about it here to show how
sensitive and loving *I* am. Like the child abuser
waxing poetic about how much he loves the kid
covered with bruises, such language tends to
ring a little false and self-serving.

But hey!, Raunchy...if you like it, cool. Me, I
just have higher standards when it comes to
writing, and to people. The word that stands out
for me in the paragraph below is "narcissist." The
entire paragraph is about how his kids made *Edg*
feel, not about the kids themselves.

It's the "I love my kids because they make *me*
feel special" counterpart of "I'm enlightened
because believing I am makes *me* feel special."
That's probably why Jim liked it, too. That and
the fact that it was dumping on Barry.  :-)