--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "geezerfreak" <geezerfr...@...> wrote:
<snip>
> So when a spoof, a very well written one as this
> one was, comes along, ya know ANYTHING is possible.
> In my wildest dreams from back in the day (and I
> was there) I would never have believed it could all
> turn into the current madness. And I was quite used
> to a certain level of madness that anyone who was
> around MMY then experienced. (Hey, let's all get up
> for a 2am meeting!)
>
> You who think the spoof was so obvious, check your
> high and mightiness carefully and ask yourself if
> any average person off the street would think
> ANYTHING that goes on in Vlodrop or any of the
> Shrivastava/Varma centers in India is anything
> other than off the rails cult-gone-wild behavior
> then friend, your own grasp on reality is shaky.

The person on the street is a non sequitur. Of
course they'd think it's all totally bonkers.

There are two things involved here.

One is the ability to recognize *any* spoof as
a spoof. The most prolific spoofer on this forum
deals in crude, burlesque-type spoofs that are
instantly obvious as such. After being fed that
kind of spoof for a while, you're less likely
to recognize more subtle spoofs; your spoof
detector gets dulled because you've gotten used
to the crudity.

This one, in contrast, was quite subtle. But
there were still telltale signs that *should*
have clued you in.

And that's the second thing involved: the TM
critics here *want* to think the worst of the
TMO, so you're absurdly gullible, ready to
believe anything--as you acknowledge above--and
that willingness dulls your alertness to the
telltale signs as well. You're invested in its
*not* being a spoof; you want it to be real so
you can wallow in scorn and disgust.

Those of us who got that it was a spoof have a
more realistic view of the TMO (and perhaps a
more finely honed sense of humor as well). Not
that we don't see that the TMO has become
ridiculous--I certainly do--but that we have a
better sense of what's merely ridiculous and
what would go over the line into seriously
warped, like that rogue Mormon group. The TMO's
not *that* warped; you have to be warped
yourself to think it would go that far.

When I learned TM in the mid-'70s, I gave the
TMO a bit of a whirl. It didn't take long for me
to decide it was sillier than I could tolerate. I
"ran away" while you were still crawling out of
bed for Maharishi at 2 in the morning.

So you might want to think about checking your
own high-and-mightyness, pal.

Yes, you were young and foolish; I had the
benefit of being older and more resistant to
nonsense. Maybe I'd have been better able to
tolerate it when I was your age and would've
gotten sucked in as you did. But, ya know, I'm
*still* older than you, and you're not looking a
whole lot less foolish to me now than the TMO
does. You've switched sides, but you're just as
heavily into nonsense. That's why you didn't
recognize it as a spoof.

(That's 50 for me. See yez later.)