--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com> , "seekliberation"
<seekliberat...@...> wrote:

> I remember seeing a lot of this online when I became interested in
Ravi Shankar after reading about a lot of his work worldwide.   I
remember being somewhat excited about it, and I remember it didn't last
for very long.  I haven't seen any continuance of it in the really
heavily war-torn provinces.>>

I don't think anyone can function safely in a heavily war torn zone?
There are other places (McCain and Bush used to claim it was safe in
Iraq.)

<<If he would've remained there much longer than he did, he would have
become a target eventually, especially for being associated with groups
that advocate women's rights.  Remember the assassination of Bhutto in
Pakistan? >>

There are a number of groups that could have killed Bhutto, but I doubt
that it was a Muslim extremist, an anti-women's rights killing, or a
sectarian or religious killing.

  <<In tribal run areas where people advocate peace or women's rights,
the extremist factions become infuriated.  It's very similar to ignorant
rednecks in America who are either racist or male chauvinists.   The
only difference is that we are about 50-60 years ahead of them in
evolving past some of their behaviors. >>

Although, under Butto's father in Pakistan women had many rights, and in
Iran, before the Americans forced out the democratic government there,
to be replaced with their own dictator, and before the Americans trained
Osama Bin Laden and built the Taliban in Afhganistan, and even under the
American backed dictator Saddam Hussein women had rights to become
doctors, professors, etc. In Lebanon, women were gaining freedoms until
the Americans forced out the Syrians who were keeping the peace there,
and the American backed corrupt Olmert government of Israel who bombed
the shit out of Lebanon because after the Americans forced out the
Syrians the extremist Hezbollah took over Lebanon..

Anywhere else? Yes, in the American backed extreme dictatorship of Saudi
Arabia, there are many Indians working as second class citizens in a
partitioned society.

> This is part of the reason i've always preferred Ravi's point of view.
Not because it justifies my own, but more so because it is balanced.  He
understands peace must be brought to these areas, but at least
acknowledges that in the beginning stages there will be a formidable
resistance that has to be dealt with.  Although he praises Islam as a
whole, he will still make occasional remarks of how many of these
terrorists are misguided.

> But his point of view is unlike many people who believe we can just
send doctors, teachers and other healers without any risk or serious
threat.  They often think they can just walk into these villages without
someone disliking them to a point of serious mistreatment....or much
worse.  At least Sri Ravi is a bit of a realist in the midst of his
idealism.  >>

> The good thing is that there are provinces in Afghanistan that are
becoming much safer, mostly in the northeast though.  But in the south,
and southwest civilians are still being killed by Taliban.  If they are
seen seeking medical care by American military doctors they can be
executed. >>

Just like Kansas. Perhaps you are not aware of this, but numerous people
have been killed for seeking medical care in America, and recently a
doctor was murdered in Kansas for practicing medicine.

  <<I've heard from someone overseas now that they tried to blame
civilian casualties on American aircraft bombings somewhere out west,
problem is they were killed by Chinese grenades, which no NATO forces
carry at all.  They will kill civilians to make it look like us.>>

Yes, American forces can drop bombs on houses and kill rebels and spare
the women and children in there. They have smart bombs.

<< It's often times their best chance of victory.  >>

There is no victory in these wars. There never was, and there never will
be. No-one will be victorious or claim victory. This Bush/Cheney debacle
will drag on for 30 years (unless there is some massive change in world
consciousness that completely re-arranges matter itself.

<<I also remember a village about 30-40 miles from where I was based
that a 15 year old boy was hung to death for carrying American
currency.>>

The accusations about the practices of SOME American soldiers in Iraq
and elsewhere are just as brutal and more widespread. That doesn't mean
everywhere American soldiers go are like that does it? or that that is
representative of the whole US military?

  << These are not safe places for anyone who is not Islamic, or anyone
not living in accordance with the warlord faction's guidelines.  >>

Yes, you are right, they are not safe places. If only America had not
ignored world opinion and international law and sent Iraq back to the
stone age, and if only they had let the international community focus on
Afghanistan, then the world would be a better place. Unfortuantely it
will take decades to mend the mess that Bush/Cheney made.

Respectfully

OffWorld

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq> >  in 2003, aimed at relieving the
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Sri_Ravi_Shankar#cite_note-11> > [13]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Sri_Ravi_Shankar#cite_note-12> >  A
> > Program was implemented in Afghanistan from 2003 to 2006 teaching to
war
> > victims, UN and ngo personnel. In 2007, Sri Sri visited Iraq at the
> > invitation of Prime Minister Nouri al Maliki, and also met with
Sunni,
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Sri_Ravi_Shankar#cite_note-13> > [15]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Sri_Ravi_Shankar#cite_note-14> >  He