I remember seeing a lot of this online when I became interested in Ravi Shankar
after reading about a lot of his work worldwide.   I remember being somewhat
excited about it, and I remember it didn't last for very long.  I haven't seen
any continuance of it in the really heavily war-torn provinces.  If he would've
remained there much longer than he did, he would have become a target
eventually, especially for being associated with groups that advocate women's
rights.  Remember the assassination of Bhutto in Pakistan?  In tribal run areas
where people advocate peace or women's rights, the extremist factions become
infuriated.  It's very similar to ignorant rednecks in America who are either
racist or male chauvinists.   The only difference is that we are about 50-60
years ahead of them in evolving past some of their behaviors.

Another thing to consider is that he was only in areas that were currently
under control and had ample security.  He would've never made it into the
Helmand or Farah Province of Afghanistan; it would've been too risky.
Moreover, Ravi Shankar understands the need for military forces in these
countries, as indicated in the quote below:

Interacting with the media here, Sri Ravi Shankar said: "India believes that
international forces have played a major role in Afghanistan and they need to
continue to play a major role.  And I hope countries, including the US should
stay in Afghanistan to bring about a balance."

This is part of the reason i've always preferred Ravi's point of view.  Not
because it justifies my own, but more so because it is balanced.  He
understands peace must be brought to these areas, but at least acknowledges
that in the beginning stages there will be a formidable resistance that has to
be dealt with.  Although he praises Islam as a whole, he will still make
occasional remarks of how many of these terrorists are misguided.

But his point of view is unlike many people who believe we can just send
doctors, teachers and other healers without any risk or serious threat.  They
often think they can just walk into these villages without someone disliking
them to a point of serious mistreatment....or much worse.  At least Sri Ravi is
a bit of a realist in the midst of his idealism.

The good thing is that there are provinces in Afghanistan that are becoming
much safer, mostly in the northeast though.  But in the south, and southwest
civilians are still being killed by Taliban.  If they are seen seeking medical
care by American military doctors they can be executed.  I've heard from
someone overseas now that they tried to blame civilian casualties on American
aircraft bombings somewhere out west, problem is they were killed by Chinese
grenades, which no NATO forces carry at all.  They will kill civilians to make
it look like us.  It's often times their best chance of victory.  I also
remember a village about 30-40 miles from where I was based that a 15 year old
boy was hung to death for carrying American currency.  These are not safe
places for anyone who is not Islamic, or anyone not living in accordance with
the warlord faction's guidelines.

seekliberation