--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, azgrey <no_re...@...> wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, azgrey <no_reply@> wrote:
> > >
> > > A little old lady sold pretzels on a street corner for 25
> > > cents each. Every day a young man would leave his office
> > > building at lunch time and as he passed the pretzel stand
> > > he would leave her a quarter, but never take a pretzel.
> > >
> > > And this went on for more then 3 years. The two of them
> > > never spoke. One day as the young man passed the old
> > > lady's stand and left his quarter as usual, the pretzel
> > > lady spoke to him.
> > >
> > > Without blinking an eye she said:
> > >
> > > "They're 35 cents now."
> >
> > Good for her.
> >
> > The young man had been subtly dissing her by treating
> > her as a charity case instead of an entrepreneur.
>
> Which makes you, once again, a schmegegy.

AZ, if you know, please clear up for me some
of the mystery of the term "schmegegy."

Being not of the Jewish persuasion, the only
times I have heard this phrase in my life have
been accompanied by a grimace of cognitive
dissonance, my face reflecting the fact that
I simply don't get the reference.

A Jewish friend of my acquaintance, exorted
over a shared joint back in college to define
"schmegegy" for me, replied:

"You know how when you go to the laundromat
to do your wash and afterwards you discover
weird lint stuff in the pockets of the washed
clothing, stuff that you can't quite figure
out the origin of? Schmegegies."

So what's the literal meaning?