--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "do.rflex" <do.rf...@...> wrote:

> the Daily Mail, has taken another body blow with the
> paper publishing a false story claiming that Phil
> Jones had admitted that there had been no global
> warming since 1995.

The original interview with Jones is here:

I really do believe it is an extraordinary interview.
It's not just some of things that Jones says, it's
also the fact that it is a story carried by the BBC
and by Roger Harrabin of all people. "The times they
are a changin'".

This is one of the questions:

"Do you agree that from 1995 to the present there has
been no statistically-significant global warming"

His answer? Yes, he DOES agree. So, quite simply, this
is NOT (in this respect) a "false story". He adds to
this by stating that any warming signal in this period
is not statistically significant, just as any cooling
from 2002 is not statistically significant.

It might not be too far off the mark then to say that
temperatures from 1995 have been pretty "flat"
(according to Jones). As I recall, when I mentioned
something to this effect a year or so ago, Do-reflex
appeared to think I was so batty I must have just
dropped in from Mars...

This was enormously significant too:

"Do you agree that according to the global temperature
record used by the IPCC, the rates of global warming
from 1860-1880, 1910-1940 and 1975-1998 were identical?"

Although he huffs and puffs a bit, the answer is again
yes, he does agree.

Why is that so significant? Well it brings to the
surface something that is not widely acknowledged in
the media: In all the glib talk of consensus, one fact
that IS generally accepted by climate scientists is
that a warming period began after the end of the "mini
ice age" (ie 1860 or so) and BEFORE industrial and
post-industrial societies had had a chance to puff out
too much CO2. So here he is confirming this.

If warming was occurring in 1860, then this suggests
that any CO2 component of warming in recent times is
likely to be a "forcing" superimposed on an underlying
warming trend (which we don't really understand). This
means that attempting to evaluate empirically
("scientifically") the CO2 component in the data we
have (which is turning out to be very limited and of
dubious quality anyway) becomes a fiendishly tricky
and complex task. Possibly impossible. And certainly
not possible to the degree that warmists are fond of
claiming.

Of course you may think "CO2 induced climate change"
is true *a priori*". But if you do so, it's hardly
reasonable of you to claim the rational and scientific
high ground, is it? To bandy about phrases such as
"flat earthers" and "deniers" for those who have less
faith in your *a priori* methodology?

Or again you may think that facts about glaciers and
polar bears etc are the experimental proof for the CO2
conjecture. But all such talk looks suspiciously like
"modus morons"! Viz:

"If P is True, Q will be the case"
"Q is true"
"Therefore P is true"

The error is in the first statement, which for global
warmers needs to be modified to:

"Only if P is True, Q will be the case"

And that's where the events of 1860 (or the medieval
warm period) assume their significance.