Too lazy to look it up, but I did read that Katla is able to be almost a world
killer -- but that was about almost killing all life on Earth -- the lesser
damage of "killing humanity due to mass starvation" is a much more possible
result out of a Katla event.

Here's a concept that most folks really don't have a handle on:  the thinness
of the Earth's crust.

How thin?  Well the Earth's diameter is about 8,000 miles, and the crust is at
most 50 miles thick and under the oceans it's only about five to ten miles
thick.  About a third of one percent of the diameter of the Earth.

Sounds like a lot of rock between us and the hot interior, right?

Well it is -- we're not boiling, right?, but though rock has great insulating
properties, the crust's thinness is very very much thinner than you might
expect -- relatively speaking, and it is this I wish to underline -- with a
metaphor that packs a punch for me.

Consider this:  if the Earth were the size of a billiard ball, if one touches
the ball where there is ocean, it would feel only "barely moist to the touch."
And if you breathed upon it -- fogged it as if to clean your eyeglasses -- then
that layer of water you've put upon the ball would be one of Earth's deepest
oceans.

See?

The oceans are about five miles deep, and so is the crust under the
oceans....that's about 1/1000th of the Earth's diameter.

The crust is thinner than an egg shell and the inside of the egg is up to about
10,000 F degrees....hotter than the surface of the sun.

There's your protection that volcanoes so easily pierce.

Feeling a bit more at risk?  My job is done here.

Edg