--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Duveyoung <no_re...@...> wrote:

> Too lazy to look it up, but I did read that Katla is able
> to be almost a world killer -- but that was about almost
> killing all life on Earth -- the lesser damage of "killing
> humanity due to mass starvation" is a much more possible
> result out of a Katla event.

Conceivable, but unlikely. AS I SAID, Katla erupts about
twice a century, and it hasn't killed the world or killed
humanity by mass starvation yet. Icelanders living anywhere
near it should be worried, and depending on what it spews
and which way the winds are blowing, it could cause big
problems in Europe with air travel and maybe some crops.

Iceland's Laki eruption in 1783 killed thousands across
Europe and caused a famine in France and a very cold
winter around the globe. Could that be what you're thinking
of? That was the worst one in recent history from Iceland.

What you really need to worry about, of course, is the
Yellowstone caldera. Definitely a potential world-killer.
But apparently the uplift has slowed way down recently,
so geologists aren't as concerned as they were.

<snip>

> The crust is thinner than an egg shell and the inside of
> the egg is up to about 10,000 F degrees....hotter than the
> surface of the sun.
>
> There's your protection that volcanoes so easily pierce.
>
> Feeling a bit more at risk?  My job is done here.

Not even a tad bit. But you've shot your wad, so your job
is done here anyway.