--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "mahavid3h" <uz...@...> wrote:

> > > Deal with the original question. WHY is enlightenment the
> > > highest goal in life?
>
> Because one chooses to have it? A goal is always something
> subjective, there is nothing objective about it.

Yes, but why *that* goal? Why consider it the
"highest" goal?

> Try to have a discussion of WHAT enlightenment actually means,
> and you get a hundred different answers. So couldn't
> 'Enlightenment' just be a placeholder idea for what life
> actually means to you? Like X, and X can be redefined -or
> not defined at all- at any moment.
>
> So do you object for people to have a certain ideal at all?

Not at all.

> Or do you think that enlightenment is so much beyond thought
> and concepts, that having it as an ideal is a contradiction
> in terms?

Not at all.

My concern is not with the enlightenment or having
it as a goal in life, but with the use of the term
and the concept "highest goal."

> In both cases you would be holding ideals as well maybe more
> hidden.

Yes, the straw man you were talking to might. :-)
Since I neither believe not promote your two premises,
I don't think you can say anything about my ideals
one way or another. As it turns out, I have some. I
rate none of them "highest." I'm still curious as to
why some people do.

> The first one would be an assumption that its bad to follow
> any ideal and that the ideal is a distraction to the actual
> reality, just like J. Krishnamurty says it. You would have
> an ideal of not having any ideals.

Since you are arguing with yourself here, and no one
ever said or even thought the things you're arguing
against, I declare you the winner of this debate.  :-)

> The second would be an assumption that you know what others
> call enlightenment, 'have been there, have done it', but to
> you its just a relative achievment, not higher than other
> things in life.You are actually following a relativistic
> BELIEF and you want to share it with everyone. Fine. So what?
>
> This relativistic belief is just another belief and another
> IDEA about life. Why do you actually care what people believe?

I don't, except out of curiosity.

> You start out by saying:
> 'I am fascinated by a certain type of idea'..
>
> Well, thats what they (we) all are: we are fascinated by ideas.
>
> Ideas are just ideas, they are not the 'reality' (another idea),
> but the moment we use words, we speak of ideas. If an idea is
> very strong, if we place it as Nr. 1
> no matter what it is, it can change our life and our
> perception. And it can erase or diminish other ideas, or
> rather the power these ideas hold over us. Its like the
> thorn eliminating the thorn. So, an idea doesn't have to
> be true to be effective. OTOH, if you take the relativistic
> approach, I can only ask, Who cares? People have ideas/
> ideals and they will always have, which makes them going.
> What does it matter if you have, or you don't?

It probably doesn't.

Now about that enlightenment is the highest goal
in life thing. Why "highest?" You've made a case
above for it being *A* goal in life, but why *The*
goal in life? Why "the highest?"

Maybe it's just being a computer nerd, but I can
multitask when it comes to goals. I can have lots
of them, all going on at the same time. I rank
none of them as "highest," because they "swap out"
so often and shift around. Enlightenment is some-
where on that list of goals for me; currently I
think it's number 17.

Why is enlightenment number 1 for you?