On 02/11/2011 08:02 AM, turquoiseb wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Buck"<dhamiltony2k5@...>  wrote:
>>> "Retirement"  was the Shaker word they used for 'meditation'
>>> like we would know it.
>> ",,,attend to your retirements, meetings and meals, and not
>> let trifles hinder you; and when the signal is given, either
>> for retiring time or for meals, drop your work, go into the
>> house and sit down and retire, and have no loud or unnecessary
>> conversation." [1845]
>>
>> Sounds a lot like TM in Fairfield in earlier days through the
>> 1980's and the mid-1990's. People's lives and work was set
>> up to attend the meditations and folks could drop what they
>> were doing to go as an additional call was made.
> With all due respect, it also sounds a lot like what
> the MUM Dean did when he was supposed to be watching
> a student who had already stabbed another student and
> thus was demonstrably dangerous to himself and others.
> Meditation time (or if you prefer, "retirement time")
> came around, and he just left Suvender Sem to look
> after himself. The result was a murder, one that
> could have been prevented if the Dean in question
> had simply had a more realistic view of what consti-
> tutes a "trifle" and what does not.
>
> The TMO dogma centered around "regular meditation,"
> and probably still does. All else stops or is dropped
> when it's "meditation time," or "program time." I know
> of quite a few situations that were caused over the
> years when parents (diehard TM teachers) left their
> kids to look after themselves so they could "retire"
> from their responsibilities. At least two of the
> kids wound up in the hospital, and one wound up in
> jail.
>
> There is a difference between a suggestion offered as
> if the believers to whom it is offered lived in an
> idealized, utopian world, and one offered to people
> who know that no such utopia really exists, and that
> the real world has a nasty habit of intruding.
>
> Personally, one of the most liberating things I did
> when I walked away from the TMO was to drop the feel-
> ing that I "had" to meditate, and to a fixed schedule.
> I meditate if and when I feel like it, and only if
> the time spent in meditation does not interfere with
> other tasks that involve me being responsible for
> others or responsible for accomplishing something
> to a deadline that matters. The result has been that
> each meditation is a more pleasant experience, much
> deeper than when I was doing it by rote because I
> felt I "had" to as a result of swallowing the TMO
> dogma. I've also seen far more benefits in my life
> outside of meditation than I ever did when I was
> compulsively "retiring" twice a day, like an
> automaton. YMMV.

How soon with Fairfield build a minaret and have singers doing blues
phrases for the two "daily calls to prayer?" :-D

I think I've mentioned several times before a paperback by a
chiropractor back in the 1970s who had practiced TM but noticed that he
had two sets of patients: ones that benefited from "slowing down" or
meditating twice a day and other ones who did better "speeding up" or
getting exercise twice a daily instead.