--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Buck" <dhamiltony2k5@...> wrote:

> Viewing these in 'shaktic' or experiential spiritual ways as opposed to
> 'static' comparative doctrinal ways,
> as a group the Shaker experience stands a good parallel to things TM.  I
> would wonder that some things possibly could even be learned from their
> experience if one has eyes to see it.  Learned about the Shaker experience as
> well as with TM-Raja-ism.
>
> For instance, the Shaker version of policy guidelines were called the
> Millennial law.   There was a sequence to the evolution of their millennial
> laws over the decades after their foundation era.  From short organizational
> mission of facilitating spiritual experience initially then towards detail
> specific as the group got further away from the founder and the foundation
> era.   Moving from simpler facilitating of shakti to long elaboration of
> doctrine and guideline.  From shorter statement of spiritual mission to a
> long detailed 'contract' of doctrinal guidelines.  From facilitating
> experience to preservation of institution by guideline doctrine.  Essentially
> the guidelines became the teaching doctrine.   In effect their ME became so
> burdened with 'pitta-vatta' derangement of some that the experiential shakti
> got squeezed out of it generally; folks dried up and left the group leaving
> behind only doctrinal tru-believers  as preservationists.  It's a good lesson.
> Evidently the Shakers are not the only group to have this happen to.
> -Buck

Another good comparison here, 'policies and guidelines': "Some of the leading
instruments, however, tended to be preoccupied with a drive toward an
unrealistic perfectionism, insisting that all life and activity be structured
in minute detail to guarantee is sacred character.  This reached its most
marked expression in the 1845 Millennial Laws.  This new code, formulated under
the inspiration of Elder Philemon Stewart  of the Church Family at Mt. Lebanon,
represents a total departure from the attitude embodied in Father Joseph's very
flexible "Way-marks," or even the more formal Millennial Laws of 1821.  In
Stewart's code everything imaginable is regulated, and in the greatest detail.
Communal life is made as uniformistic as possible () and all activities are
prescribed in such a way as to guarantee identical practice from one community
to the next."

"The intent was to create a perfect reflection of the heavenly in the earthly.
The effect was to constrain the experience of freedom of response to ever new
and diverse light in the Spirit.  Happily the formative experience of the first
hundred years proved to have taken deep root, and the new Millennial Laws were
simply not followed as enjoined, the various ministries and family elderships
realizing the impossibility of relating the inflexible uniformity to the
ultimate norm of authenticity...  The 1845 Millennial Laws were officially
short-lived, being withdrawn by the Central Ministry of Mt. Lebanon after five
years."   (-Whitson)