> This is your discussion, bluscOut (or rather, non-discussion,
> as you point out), and I don't want to get into it.

Okay, but it's you who started the thread I think.

Actually, when I write something, I usually have more than just one person in
mind.

> But scan-
> ning it I realized it reminded me of a scene I saw in my
> first sociology of religion class in college.
>
> The professor was doing a Joseph Campbell-like riff on some
> common Bible stories, relating them to similar (in some cases,
> identical) stories from other non-Christian cultures. One
> student, whose only exposure to the Bible stories in question
> had been his time growing up in a fundamentalist church) took
> offense, stood up, and accused the professor of "heresy" and
> "blasphemy." No shit. The student ranted on for some time
> about how there was one and only one way to interpret the
> stories in question, and that there was no question that they
> 1) originated with the Bible, not in these other, older
> cultures, and 2) the stories were 100% literally true. (One
> of them was the story of Jonah being swallowed by a whale.)
>
> The professor, a patient man if I've ever seen one, allowed
> the student to rant, but then asked how he "knew" this as a
> fact, as he had been claiming it was. The student said, without
> a hint of irony, "My Sunday School teacher told me it was true."
> The professor asked, "And how old were you when you were told
> this?" The student answered, "I think I was seven or eight
> years old." The professor said, "And you've learned nothing
> more about the Bible since then, or *cared to*?" The student
> stormed out, and dropped the class.
>
> He's probably still convinced that he knows The Truth, and
> that anyone else's view is not only erroneous, but heresy or
> blasphemy. That's just what seems to happen when people become
> convinced that the first oversimplified "pat answer" they are
> given to "explain" something is the only possible explanation,
> or The Best explanation.

Great story! But who knows what really became of him, he might have also turne
an atheist. I do certainly see the danger how 'pat answers' as you call them,
concepts, stick to your mind, and become an almost independend entity. I think
these memes have a life of their own.

The real tricky thing here is, since for many of us its part of our youth, we
tend to get an almost romantic relationship to our early experiences. We are
hooked up on them. Once you get overwhelmed by such an initial experience, you
are ready to buy anything from the same shop who offered it to you, be it sugar
or poison. So one swallows these concepts without much reflection and you
attach them to whatever experience/practise you may have had. I think one could
also see this clear with the whole scientology tschick.

It's hard to get it out of the head. As one teacher of mine said once: the more
you learn, the more you have to unlearn.