--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "feste37" <feste37@> wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know why she would do such a thing? I had never
> > heard of her, but I just looked at her Facebook page. Self-
> > immolation -- wtf?
>
> The Nisargadatta Yahoo Group has a few posts on this.
> Here's one that's pretty wild by someone who claims to
> be a former follower:

> I saw a comment elsewhere by someone who said they
> knew her; this person said she was bipolar.
>
> Really pretty ghastly, whatever her motivation. It's
> going to be very hard for her devotees to deal with--
> especially the ones who tried to save her life by
> putting out the flames (and got burned themselves as
> a result, according to the Nisargadatta group poster).

Thanks Judy, great find. The same was posted to the chi-ting blog now. This is
what Alan Jacobs writes:

"Radha Ma was interred into a samadhi yesterday, 8 March 2011, at her compound
in Tiruvannamalai, near Arunachala. She dropped the body at 3:15 pm on 7 March
2011 after she poured kerosene onto herself and lit herself on fire on the
night of 6 March 2011.

I have heard different stories about why she did this, and am not sure enough
of any of them to pass them on. I do not want to pass on rumors.

I can say that when she came to Tiruvannamalai, I think 14 years ago, she had
nothing and was happy. She held satsang at Kannappar Temple that she offered
freely, and many people came. At the end, she occupied a compound with a house
and temple on it, and she was not happy.

One of the people who knew her well, and attended the interment yesterday has
told me that yesterday's rites were beautiful and filled with love. She will
write about it soon, and allow it to be published on this blog. We look forward
to her contribution. "

http://richardarunachala.wordpress.com/2011/03/08/radha-ma-interred-into-samadhi-in-tiruvannamalai/

I have this friend who knows a lot about Tiru things, he is extremely critical
of her. Another common friend, seen here
http://arunachalagrace.blogspot.com/2009/01/helping-out.html,
has travelled with her, they were like sisters for a while, finally fell apart,
confirming the rumours about her.

Another Tiru friend tells me she has this scary statue in her Ashram she
worships, but it turns out it is Narasimha, a very common God in the Hindu
pantheon it seems,
http://arunachalagrace.blogspot.com/2009/01/radha-ma-ashram.html

Definitly she was a very unique character, who didn't fit in any box, didn't
pose as a guru, at least officially, yet seems to have been quite manipuative.
I also have friends whom she really helped, she took personal care of an
english friend, when he was sick, went to him to the pharmacy to get special
medicine, and empowered him enough to get healthy again.