On Apr 1, 2011, at 12:10 PM, curtisdeltablues wrote:
Here are the problems I see. First who has the training in both mental health and chakras to a level that there can be a definitive diagnosis of one or the other paradigm? The Catholic church sends all exorcism cases to a psychiatrist first to rule out known mental disorders. Is this how spiritual groups operate? If not they are not in a knowledge position to distinguish the reported experiences from known mental conditions. As long as the experiences are not causing distress to the person this type of experience is usually just ignored by most mental health professionals anyway.

So we are left with a person "trained" in "chakra knowledge" to work with the person who is experiencing these things. Due to the nature of the subjective detail and the downsides of bad advice (all within the belief system of the chakra experts) this kind of interaction is going to take some significant time.

So whether you believe these are valuable experiences or not, we have the bottom line problem. The closest correlate to the time consuming interaction needed is the mental health field which is often paid for by insurance. Who is going to finance the needed interaction with the "experts" of "chakra knowldege"? I am assuming that there aren't a whole bunch of people who can step up and serve in this capacity so their time is extremely valuable. Not to mention how we would actually sort out what makes someone qualified to offer this advice.

In any case the idea that TM teachers could offer this expertise in checking sessions is not realistic. They are not trained in chakras or the ability to distinguish this class of experiences from mental problems. Having checked the meditations of people who ended up with a diagnosis of schizophrenia, I can say that the checking procedure is not only insufficient for this class of person, it may be very dangerous and make the situation much worse.

So even if you are going to believe in this system of development, I can't see a realistic structure of professionals dealing with these people. From my perspective I can only hope that TM or other practices are not plunging people into experiences for which there is no support structure or knowledge base to deal with them.

Basically the only people who are doing this do a lengthy psychological evaluation and profile, along with long questionnaire and interview of all the various developmental issues one dealt with in their lives. Then and only then do they engage in a two week retreat to evaluate what type of diversion (of kundalini) the person may have or where their spiritual path can best progress from.

Of course the best thing to prevent to do to prevent this from happening in the first place is to avoid disreputable teachers like the plague. This type of scenario is largely the by-product of faux kundalini yoga and meditation teachers IME. From the POV of these traditions, being trapped in such an energetic state can mean transmigration through the "lower realms" over many, many lives. I hope they enjoyed their hopping on foam a hell of a lot.