--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@...> wrote:

> wrote:
> >
> > These points are interesting to me.  There are two places
> > to start that end in the same conclusion for me.
> >
> > 1. You believe that "chakra energy" experiences are real,
> > valuable and can be distinguished from the possible mental
> > disorders in a patient who has studied these concepts and
> > describes his or her symptoms using the vocabulary from
> > this belief system.
> >
> > 2. You don't believe that this category of experiences is
> > a sign of valuable "spiritual progress" and is a
> > manifestation of a mental disorder or perhaps for some
> > people a benign experience that we do not yet understand.
> > (Not accepting the often contradictory explanations found
> > in scriptures.)
>
> False dichotomy.

I wasn't presenting them as a dichotomy but as a place to start the discussion.

 There's a whole field of psychotherapy
> in which chakra experiences are used to help diagnose
> various disorders (not necessarily mental illness per
> se, but the kinds of emotional problems that most people
> seek psychotherapy for), and working with chakras is used
> as a treatment modality for the disorders, typically
> along with standard psychotherapy.

So these are licensed mental health professionals who are using this model in
their practice or spiritual people with psychotherapy training? I wonder about
the ethics if the first and the training basis for the second.

> The two systems are seen as complementary, in other words.
> The chakra experiences are assumed to be very real but can
> be signs of mental disorders if they're causing distress,
> but also of spiritual progress if they're not.

I can understand that some people may believe this.  I am not sure they are
speaking with the full authority of the people who license mental health
professionals.  And how does a person know that they are dealing with an expert
in the area of "chakras"?  There is no standard of knowledge to use as a
reference.

So I don't see how this solves the issues I brought up.  We are still left
winging it with an area that seems to have profound consequences in mental
health.

Do you have a person who from your search seems to represent the needed
knowledge in both areas that you think would inspire confidence?  I don't doubt
that a search will lead to plenty of people making such claims. How could we
evaluate such claims of this specialized knowledge?