--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltablues@...>
wrote:

> These points are interesting to me.  There are two places
> to start that end in the same conclusion for me.
>
> 1. You believe that "chakra energy" experiences are real,
> valuable and can be distinguished from the possible mental
> disorders in a patient who has studied these concepts and
> describes his or her symptoms using the vocabulary from
> this belief system.
>
> 2. You don't believe that this category of experiences is
> a sign of valuable "spiritual progress" and is a
> manifestation of a mental disorder or perhaps for some
> people a benign experience that we do not yet understand.
> (Not accepting the often contradictory explanations found
> in scriptures.)

False dichotomy. There's a whole field of psychotherapy
in which chakra experiences are used to help diagnose
various disorders (not necessarily mental illness per
se, but the kinds of emotional problems that most people
seek psychotherapy for), and working with chakras is used
as a treatment modality for the disorders, typically
along with standard psychotherapy.

The two systems are seen as complementary, in other words.
The chakra experiences are assumed to be very real but can
be signs of mental disorders if they're causing distress,
but also of spiritual progress if they're not.

You might want to do a search: +yoga +psychotherapy.