--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltablues@...>

> > <curtisdeltablues@> wrote:
> > >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@>

> > > I wasn't presenting them as a dichotomy but as a place to
> > > start the discussion.
> >
> > As a place to start the discussion, it's inadequate
> > because it leaves out a major perspective.
>
> Thus the term "start".
>

> > >  There's a whole field of psychotherapy
> > >

> > > So these are licensed mental health professionals who
> > > are using this model in their practice or spiritual
> > > people with psychotherapy training?
> >
> > I haven't checked their credentials, Curtis. I got the
> > impression at least some of them were trained in
> > psychotherapy and licensed and have chosen to use this
> > approach in their practice.
> >
> > > I wonder about the ethics if the first
> >
> > OMG, that is hilarious.
>
> People whose trust by the public is based on their
> credentials certified by the state as a mental health
> authority adding in a field of speculation that has
> no oversight or even standard definitions is a
> violation of the ethical trust their position holds.
> How you find this funny is beyond me.

It's funny because you don't know what the hell you're
talking about.

>From an article on the standard of care in psychotherapy
and counseling (be good to read the introduction too,
but the quoted paragraphs are specifically relevant here):

-----
The standard of care is a particularly difficult
issue in psychotherapy, as there are hundreds of
different orientations and approaches to treatment
(Lambert, 1991). Each is based on a different
theoretical orientation, a different methodology,
philosophy, belief system and even worldview. Beyond
the agreements of do not harm, and do not have sex
with current clients, and always respect clients'
dignity, autonomy and privacy, there is no consensus
on how to intervene, help or heal. For example there
is no one standard, or method or way for the
treatment of anxiety. Psychoanalysis, cognitive-
behavioral, existential, biologically based
psychiatry, Gestalt and pastoral counseling all
define, explain and treat the anxiety in very
different terms. Not one of them will follow the
others' standards....

The "respected minority" doctrine also applies to
new techniques, which as yet do not have well
established scientific or research support.  This
provision allows for new or "experimental"
psychotherapeutic techniques to be carefully,
cautiously and ethically employed even though the
theories and/or practices are still being developed
and tested. Most successful and effective techniques
started out as "experimental or "alternative"
techniques prior to being tested, validated,
recognized, and employed on a broad scale....
-----

http://www.zurinstitute.com/standardofcaretherapy.html

It's simply not the case that state mental health
authorities say you can do A, B, C, and D kinds of
therapy, but not W, X, Y, and Z. It's just not an
ethics issue which approach a therapist uses. As long
as the basics--"do not harm, and do not have sex with
current clients, and always respect clients' dignity,
autonomy and privacy"--are observed, you get to
choose your own approach; you aren't required to pick
from a list of state-approved therapies.