--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "wayback71" <wayback71@...> wrote:

<snip>
> > Um. I don't know that one can complain about people
> > who went on courses having psychotic breaks, and at
> > the same time complain that people who were receiving
> > psychiatric treatment weren't allowed on courses.
>
> The problem was that there was no distinction made between
> people who had psychiatric problems and were seeing
> psychiatrists and getting medications as compared to people
> getting some therapy sessions from a social worker or
> psychologist. All therapy and help of any sort was lumped
> together and made you ineligible for a course.  I had a
> friend who back in the 70's went for about 6 sessions of
> post-divorce therapy before marrying her 2nd husband. A
> year later they applied for a siddhis course.  The question
> on the siddhis's application was "have you ever been
> involved in any type of therapy?" She answered honestly and
> was rejected, despite explaining that it was divorce related
> (not depression) and feeling the need to talk to someone for
> a few sessions after a divorce is normal - and seeking such
> help is healthy.

Indeed. I suspect there must have been some kind of time
factor involved, though, because I had had full-blown
psychiatric therapy a few years before I started TM, and
reported it on the form when I applied for the TM-Sidhis.
I was accepted without any problem.

It does seem unfair in the case of this woman, even though
the time between therapy and application was only a year.
But there were most likely people without any expertise in
different types of therapy making the decisions, and given
the potential seriousness of accepting someone on a high-
powered course who shouldn't take that risk, it may have
been safer to go with a rigid rule that didn't require
any judgment. IOW, better safe than sorry.

It's also possible they felt someone who had gone through
the stress of a divorce that recently wouldn't be a good
candidate, therapy or no therapy. But that she had needed
therapy would have reinforced the perception that the
divorce had been stressful.

That stress from a divorce (and from a new marriage, for
that matter!) is normal doesn't obviate the problems the
residual stress might cause on a course as intense as the
TM-Sidhis, even if the person thinks they're fine.

Did she apply again later, do you know?

> Certainly people seeing psychiatrists and getting medication
> should not have rounded on courses.  And young people
> desperate to follow MMY's program for personal evolution felt
> trapped by these rigid rules and MMY"s often stated scorn for
> therapy of any sort.  So I am quite sure that many people in
> those days who needed help did not seek it, even if they
> weren't applying to a course.

As I went on to say, that would be very poor judgment
on their part.

I'm not giving MMY a pass for scorning therapy, but I'm
with Sal on this: anybody who got in trouble by going
along with it has to take some of the responsibility.