On Apr 11, 2011, at 6:03 PM, wayback71 wrote:

> Poor judgement, yes. But in those days, these people believed MMY was always
> right about everything and could "see" them and their future - and if he said
> something was to be avoided, they followed his guidelines.  Stupid, I guess,
> but that is exactly why people in high and powerful positions - especially
> spiritual -  have to be extra cautious.

The words I'd use are "moral responsibility".

Of course few of us expected the Maharishi was so immoral and unaware. We were
led to expect omniscience and deep insight, transcendental, unity-based
insight: the Big Rishi.

> I do hold MMY responsible for a portion of the problems untreated people have
> had.  And people who were smart enough to get treatment were definitely made
> to feel lesser,  and lesser evolved and off the program bigtime.  These were
> young people in their 20's, trying hard to do the right thing for MMY.  I
> agree with your reasoning on it all, but honestly, it was not only could MMY
> not win, but neither could his devotees.

As a comparison, I cannot say I've seen legit masters do anything remotely
similar. I've seen them give homemade medicines to help or offers of
assistance, but no promises of curing them of terminal illnesses. Nor do I know
of any creating and manufacturing lead rasayanas to give pregnant women.