--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, tartbrain <no_reply@...> wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Xenophaneros Anartaxius"
> > <anartaxius@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Sam Harris has posted a second follow up to his post on his
> > > own blog about free will (the link to which tartbrain originally
> > > posted on this forum). In this post he takes a slightly different
> > > tack on the subject:
> > >
> > > You Do Not Choose What You Choose
> > >
> > > Many readers continue to find my position on free will
> > > bewildering.
> >

> > As I have suggested about other believers in the
> > lack of free will here (and that they have failed
> > to reply to), if they are so convinced that there
> > is no free will, WHY are they working so hard to
> > convince others (whom they insist have no free will)
> > to change their minds and embrace the "no free will"
> > position?
> >
> > If Harris is correct, his thoughts on this matter
> > and his ability to decide for free will or against
> > it are not his own. The decision was made for him.
>
> Really? (as in SNL "Really!!??") Are you suggesting that its only one  of two
> discrete possibilities.   Either: 1) one is totally independent of any
> outside or internal sub conscious forces makes decisions or 2) some entity
> makes the decisions and then tells him what to do? (I know "mother is at
> home", but is she calling all the shots?

I wonder if we are meaning the same thing by the term "free will". I would
venture that if, generally speaking, someone could only conceive of the above
two discrete options, then they have very little actual free will  -- though
perhaps scads of imaginary free will. If there are 100 options and one is only
aware of, or can only conceive of, two of them, he has very little free will
IMO. EVEN if he can freely choose among the two options. He is so bound up in
his limited world, he has no idea how much free will he doesn't have. I don't
think that you are necessarily looking at a micro set of all possible options
(though we all are to a degree). We don't know what we don't know.

For example, say a guy has boiled it down to three things: eating , sleeping
and f*ing. And he has total free will to chose what he wants to do in this and
each moment: eat, sleep or F. I don't think this guy has much free will at all
but he is going to think that he has total free will. He doesn't know what he
doesn't know. We all don't know what we don't know.

And then, even if we are fully aware of all options (an impossible or terribly
rare state, IMO) do we really chose among them in a totally free, unbiased,
untrained, culture-free way? I think not (but that is probably just my
cultural, educational, and life experience bias speaking).

Let me ask some questions that may clarify some of the points I have been
attempting to make.

*Does someone who has worked full time, full heart into it, for TMO for 20
years, an has no just left, do they have total free will to see things as they
are?  (Not if FFL is representative, IMO).

*Someone who has large unfulfilled ego needs and thus bashes everyone insight
to make them feel better about themselves. Does this person have much free will?

*Someone sees a post and just HAS to respond. Do they have much free-will?

*Two high school chums go in different directions. One goes to Harvard, the
other goes lives in a small cabin high in the Rockies and  explores and
rejoices in nature each and every minute. After 4-5 years, does each enjoy the
same free will? I would suggest that any free will they do experience (or feel
that they do) will be of quite a different type, two barely intersecting sets
of free-will. Each has taken a path that has opened up lots of options and also
has closed off a lot of options. Each has quite different sets of (perceived)
free will (if any or much at all in reality).

*A sports fan during playoffs. Do they have much free will NOT to
watch them?

*Eva Greene walks into a bar, alone, an sits next to you at the bar. do you
have ANY free-will at that moment?  Do you really have the free will to get up
and walk away.