Some really interesting points here Barry.  They got me thinking and jogged
some memories.

At first I was confused by Jim's attitude that we were personally defective for
going all the way with Maharishi back in the day (in the non Bourque-ian sense
of the word!) but at the same time accused of lacking in spiritual focus or
progress today.  Combined with holding Maharishi as a teacher so special we
should never goof on him or point out his failings with us somehow remiss in
our own path of enlightenment now because we don't follow him, although we were
fools when we were following him too much.  It is a classic double bind.

Then it hit me!

This was the philosophy of the "strong" (remember that gem!) meditator or
strong sidha at the TM center.  This is a continuation of the attitude some
sidhas and meditators had who were really into TM and the programs, but for one
reason or another would never pull the trigger on becoming a teacher.  They
sensed the movement's caste system bullshit and rightfully resented it.  Plus a
lot of these guys had their shit together in "the world" or families so they
didn't see us as particularly inspiring.  We were  constantly coming back from
courses with new vocabulary and the latest "whatever" programs that were gunna
do it all, fer real, real this time!  After ATR or other long rounding we were
annoying and worthy of goofing on.  But we were the door keepers to their
access to courses.  And compliance was a key aspect of evaluation along with
the alarmingly Nazi "negativity" reading.  Or the dreaded "roughness", God
can't help you if your file has that word too much.  You wont even be able to
get another mantra syllable if the "R" word sticks.

They were trapped!  We had the ability to screw them on going to their next
course.  And every time we brought back some new program it caused havoc in
their family lives.  Remember how put out families were to do the sidhis?  How
much time and money it cost people "in the field"? So they had to kiss ass a
bit and go along even though any reference to teachers being bliss-ninnies
would get a little too loud and long a laugh.  They learned how to play the
game enough to get passed through.  But there was resentment.

So they invented their own version of Maharishi's teaching.  It focused on all
the 200% bits and action to infuse being, but conveniently left out all the
serve the master part, or even putting yourself in a position where Maharishi
could direct your evolution program personally.  This is the interesting part.
It became a virtue and badge of honor to NOT go all the way with Maharishi.
They reveled in the brochure level TM, what was served to the public and
eschewed any of the stuff he told his fulltimers.  We were all full of the
other quotes like the diamond for the price of spinach don't waste your life
rap or "My mission is to spiritually regenerate the world.  Anyone who helps
me, I personally will do everything I can for their evolution.  Whoever doesn't
help me, my attention doesn't go there".  We each had our own supporting catch
phrases for our level of involvement.

And I have to say I never had much affinity with the "partially in" POV because
once I decided that Maharishi was DA MAN, I was all in.  Each course was
another step on the road I wanted to be on.  I couldn't understand how someone
could appreciate Maharishi as a master of human consciousness, but be
suspicious of having the guy give you the full monte.  It seemed incongruent to
me then, and still does today.

But then I was young and it was easy for me to devote my life to his mission
rather than whatever shitty entry level job awaited my liberal arts educated
young ass!

It is a funny blend of credulity and suspicion, as if putting yourself under
Maharishi's direction was suspect.  It meant you had been, as Jim recently
claimed about me, "seduced" by Maharishi.  What a fascinating turn of phrase
for a guy who Jim believes gave him the keys to his own enlightenment and
castigates us for expressing zero reverence towards. It was proof that you were
somehow deficient personally that you would allow Maharishi to have such
control over you.

The cognitive dissonance at play to hold all these things together is amazing
to me:

1. Maharishi was a master of human consciousness, but you had to be careful not
to let him have control of your personal life.  He was both revered and
mistrusted.

2.Barry and I were TOO into TM when we were teachers.  It is evidence of our
personal lack of something.  To quote Jim: "so incredibly seduced by Maharishi
at one point that you lost any semblance of who you really were"  By being
fulltime with the so called master, I was going in the opposite direction of
evolution and losing myself!

3. But now Barry and I are accused of NOT having any self realization and
lacking the fortitude to stick it out now.  Damned when we did and damned when
we don't!

I think you nailed it that our non acceptance of Maharishi as a special guy is
taken with a heaping helping of poor intellectual boundaries as a lack of
confidence vote on his own awakening.  This is a power game of trumped up
specialness but we have opted out.  We are no longer proud teacher able to lord
anything over Jim and now he thinks he can lord his special state over us in
payback.  All these posts ridiculing people for lack of whatever it is he
thinks he has. As if self realization is a prize you can taunt people with.
Neener neener neener, I am and you aren't!

I have taken plenty of time with Jim for him to make his case both here and by
listening to his entire Batgap interview.  I conclude that Jim has had some
type of shift in his mental functioning that he values.  I can appreciate that.
 I view it as I would if someone said they had an experience of being saved
that changed their life positively.

But I don't want to hear that this also means that since I am NOT saved that I
am deficient in whatever.  I really don't. I am fine and having a swimmingly
good time.  I'm all enlightened up and all saved up for now.  And if higher
consciousness doesn't manifest itself in something interesting enough to make
me go "wow that really did make you more blah blah blah..." then I'm really not
interested in hearing that I am lacking in whatever this subjective quality is.
My own inner state is fascinating to me and only me.  Same for anyone.  Our
inner states are not fascinating to others, only what we can express from them.

Oh yeah, and I think the whole defend Maharishi rap has got to come to an end.
If Jim really cared about the guy. he would have put his back into his mission
while he still had a pulse.  He was a master of convenience for most people,
but Barry and I spent the freak'n sleepless nights trying to help the guy when
we could have used a few more hands on whatever wacky project just came over
the TELEX from Switzerland.  It is too little too late to offer up the lip
service defend the master routine now.

And if I thought Maharishi was right, I would still be doing it.