--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltablues@...>

> > <curtisdeltablues@> wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > Combined with holding Maharishi as a teacher so special
> > > we should never goof on him or point out his failings
> > > with us
> >
> > That isn't what he said. Here's what he said:
> >
> > "I think you could write about MMY as far less than
> > perfect, as many on here do, without the cheap shots."
> >
> > Ooopsie. That pretty much cancels out a good portion
> > of your indictment of Jim.
>
> Actually Jim has a long history of attacking me personally
> for saying things about Maharishi.  Although he made that
> statement his many examples of going after me after I have
> said something he doesn't like pretty much cancels out
> your point.

Let's see an example (both of your remark that Jim
objected to and Jim's objection).

> > I might as well stick in my response to your demand
> > for an example of one of your cheap shots:

> > <curtisdeltablues@> wrote:
> > >
> > > So what do you consider a cheap shot that I
> > > have taken at Maharishi?  I can't think of
> > > anything I have said about him that I didn't
> > > sincerely mean. My shots are carefully
> > > considered and not cheap at all.
> >
> > Well, those are some interesting definitions of
> > "cheap shot," especially the first. I've not
> > encountered "cheap shot" used in either of those
> > senses, i.e., not sincerely meant or carefully
> > considered.
> >
> > Here's a recent remark of yours that qualifies as
> > a cheap shot in my book:
> >
> > "Then after Unity you have leisha vidya which I
> > suspect was one of his personal excuses for
> > banging groupies."
>
> Then you have missed a key ingredient of what makes a
> shot cheap, its unfairness.  In this case we both have
> adequate documentation that this was precisely the
> behavior he did engage in.

I told you to do yourself a favor and not try to
justify it. Here's the dictionary definition: "a
critical statement that takes unfair advantage of
a known weakness of the target."

"Adequate documentation" doesn't enter into it at
all.

> And my speculation that this may have been some of
> his rationalization is probably not far off.

But it was gratuitous in that context:

> > One of the hallmarks of the cheap shot is that it's
> > a gratuitously nasty remark that makes no
> > contribution to the context into which it's been
> > shoehorned, as was the case here.
>
> It contributed to the context of my understanding of
> the term and how it might be employed by Gurus to
> justify behavior.  It was not gratuitous to me and I
> was the writer.

You were a writer who was attempting to communicate
about a general principle to somebody else. You weren't
writing in your diary.

> > Do yourself a favor and don't try to "justify" that
> > one. Just know that when we say you take cheap shots
> > at MMY, that's the kind of thing we mean.
>
> My objection with Jim is that when I say something
> about Maharishi, he takes a personal cheap shot at me.
> Aligning yourself with this behavior does not speak
> well of you.

I'm aligning myself with what he said in the post youe
misrepresented.

> Maharishi is a dead guy.  There is not "shot" to take that
> affects him.  When people here take opinions of him
> personally it reveals poor intellectual boundaries.

Oh, I forgot, you don't think there's any such thing
as taking a cheap shot at a dead person. We'll have to
agree to disagree on that point, if you don't mind.

> Your posturing of virtue would be much more effective if
> you spoke out against Jim's cheap shots at actual living
> people here.

You are in no position to accuse me of posturing about
anything, given your unwillingness to speak out against
Barry's constant demonizations of and blatant falsehoods
about actual living people here, including me and Jim.

> But you don't.   So I can only conclude that when he
> ridicules people for their lack of the self realization
> he believes he is so full of, you are down with that.

And I can only conclude that when Barry demonizes and
lies about me and Jim and others, you're down with that.

Little tit for tat there. Live with it.