--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu wrote:

> The "free market" thing doesn't work.  I applaud Paul for speaking out
> against the war spending and questioning the existence of the Federal
> Reserve but not Austrian economics. It just "sounds good" to people who
> don't understand economics.

Ron Paul's objection to the Federal Reserve is another stand that seems silly
to me. Admittedly, my opinion is based on just one book, "The Money Men," which
recounts the history of American monetary policy from the country's founding to
the creation of the Fed in 1913. From that historial perspective, the Fed has
been a rousing success, pretty much solving a problem that had vexed the
economy all through the 19th century.

I'm with Charlie Pierce of the Boston Globe, who characterizes Libertarians as
the historical reenactors of the political world. Just like the guys who put on
pointed hats and knickers every April in Lexington and pretend to shoot one
another, Libertarians dress up like a serious political movement, but no one in
their right mind would give Libertarians real power any more than we'd let the
reenactors use live ammunition.