--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltablues@...>
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, maskedzebra <no_reply@> wrote:

MZ: No, this guy is solid in his mystical integrity—even as I challenge anyone
to point out a single example where this is true in the case of any other one
of Maharishi's living initiators.

Still, everything you say in response to the video can be seen to be true—but
not at the purely intuitive level of my experience. I think my response to
Peter Wallace and your response to Peter Wallace are both valid.

CDB: Absolutely.  I can dig both perspectives.  I spend so much time with my
nose stuck in books about out cognitive gaps and "shaping" in the retelling of
stories is a big one.  His stories have been shaped with conscious or
unconscious enthusiasm over many retellings.

But I can certainly remember when tales like his would be inputted directly
without the speedbumps of skepticism and would serve as more proof that I was
living on the cusp of something magical. Like I said, just the Maharishi story
alone might have made it through unscathed, it was just the cumulative effect
that sent me over.

RESPONSE: No matter what the past is, I attempt to interpret my experience in
the present without reference to any antecedents. My predilection here was to
see (and feel) the evidence of someone who is trying to make TM and MMY be what
TM and MMY used to be (in those best of times—Peter Wallace beat me to it:
meeting Maharishi in 1963, that's pretty early, and it must have been so
good)—but no longer can be. But despite my extreme skepticism regarding the
capacity of *any* old initiator to produce in his performance any of the old
grace of the Movement—no matter how long they had been around Maharishi—I was,
in that first viewing of the video of Peter Wallace, completely won over. Not a
false note there, in my opinion, although I think it more than an opinion. The
guy's in touch with the highest reality of what TM and Maharishi were when the
whole thing peaked—this is utterly astonishing to me. Besides, I got to
vicariously re-experience what was beautiful and sublime about my TM and MMY
past—despite my disavowal of the validity of all those past TM and MMY
experiences.

It proved to me that I had no alternative back then (for me, early and mid
seventies) but to go for Maharishi and the TM experience. *And nothing since
has come close to the beauty and power and magic of that era in my life*. TM
was It. Maharishi was It. Watching Peter Wallace, I realize I didn't have a
chance. So the wisdom and maturity of my present perspective, acquired from
realizing how naive and susceptible I was then—and how problematic TM really
is, and how complex and even corrupt Maharishi really was—did not get in the
way of receiving the truth of Peter Wallace's experience. He is still living
out the truth of what I have renounced—*and it is working for him*. He is in
the spiritual space which validates TM and Maharishi, and there is no
possibility of taking him out of this state of consciousness. And I even think
this is right for him. He embodies a reality which although I reject the truth
of its metaphysics (that isn't the way life really is, that isn't the way
reality is), I can intuit that, for him, this is his destiny. And he is meant
to take this experience and truth into even his death.

No, I reject his experience; yet I know what he is experiencing is beautiful
and true and real (for him). There is no contradiction being lived out here.
The same cannot be said for Bevan Morris or John Hagelin or even Tony Nader:
those guys aren't chosen to uphold the grace of TM and Maharishi—even though
they believe they are so chosen. Why not chosen? *Because they can't do it.*
They are fighting life and life is fighting them. And they suffer because of
this. Those three guys should pass through a crisis of belief so they can
become healthy normal real human beings once again. They are just apparatchiks
now.

No, Peter Wallace is doing what I estimated no one else (left in the Movement)
can do. He is himself a living holy relic of TM and Maharishi. He experiences
no doubt, no dissonance, no pretence. It is all very real, because *he has
become it*.

 CDB: And I don't mean it as some indictment of the guy personally.  Overcoming
a stroke is miracle enough and whatever gets him through the night and all.

RESPONSE: I don't think of it at all as "whatever gets him through the night
and all." Stroke or no stroke, Peter Wallace, is living out the truth of his
experience. And not through any kind of compensation—else I would have felt the
connection between his spiritual orientation and that trauma and brokenness he
has passed through because of his stroke.

CDB: But I think you may be a bit hard on the many initiator old timers who are
still just as sincere and every bit as guileless as you imagined him to be.  I
believe there are a whole bunch of them.  I went to a sidha gathering about 15
years of no contact and most people have grown up with the ambiguity of their
spiritual interests and an organization that is kind of a buzzkill.  As the
token spawn of Satan I was cornered repeatedly by people with unasked for
confessions of their lack of towing the party line while still keeping their
pure connection with the part of Maharishi they always loved.  I could see the
conflicts and how their maturity resolved them in the way we humans balance
ambiguity. A little denial, a little nudge, nudge, wink, wink, and some clear
duct tape to hold it all together.

RESPONSE: I am grateful to you for this, Curtis, because obviously I have been
living under a false impression: I would have sworn what you tell me here was
not, could not be, true. Not that there aren't "many initiator old timers"
still living out the TM-MMY dream; but that they continue to be as sincere and
guileless as they once were [or as Peter Wallace is here], that I would never
have anticipated. I would have thought they would be like Bevan, Hagelin, Nader
(I hope I am not misjudging these persons: but when I see them in action, I
sense being a Party member has become a strain, an act, even an existential
crisis: deep in their souls they are in conflict—although they might go to
their deaths in denial of this).

I have a feeling at that sidha gathering you attended ("as the token spawn of
Satan") that the response to you was based upon the inimitable status and
reputation you have as a human being, both inside the Movement and outside the
Movement. You would be a very hard person to dismiss, because whether people
have worked this out in their minds or not, they sense something authentic,
honest, and honourable about you, and they know in leaving the Movement and
renouncing Maharishi as your Guru you were acting inside your own integrity,
With almost anyone else, I rather think they would have looked down
disapprovingly upon you, and felt a sense of righteousness in your presence.
But your own individual being forced the response out of them that you describe
here. I don't think you have a perfect sense of how you come across to other
people, Curtis. You are not a self-conscious dissembler. There is something so
transparently true about you as a character. You could show your face anywhere
inside the Movement—even now—and no one would feel the authority or right to
judge you whatsoever. What you have inside of you is something that commands
respect and affection, and it has nothing to do with TM or Maharishi. And your
ultimate immunity to the influence of TM and Maharishi remains a beautiful
mystery to me. Because I would have thought this impossible. This will sound
like nonsense to you, but I have to believe somewhere you have a special
destiny, even as there appears to be no sign of what that destiny might be even
now, after all these years.

Dozens of persons on FFL wished you a happy birthday. I doubt there is one
other person on FFL who gets birthday greetings. This is the same tribute that
was paid to you by those sidhas, even as they knew you had essentially broken
with their religion, and became, given who you are, a kind of challenge to
them—thus their justification of their continued allegiance to MMY and the
Movement: which becomes indirectly the expression of the respect they have for
you.