Thanks for taking the time to collect the links.  I will read the threads and
comment.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@...> wrote:

> Curtis--
>
> I think you'll get most of it if you follow the thread
> that starts with this August 2009 post from Vaj:

This is a classic case of what we were talking about mixing together different
layers of understanding and using words outside a jargon context.  Remember
when I mentioned a while back about the choice to stay with the Self in
meditation?  I shut the discussion down because I felt this was not a suitable
context for it but this post touches on some of those issues.  I don't view
this as evidence of not understanding TM yet.  This is an advanced discussion
of meditation including TM IMO.  Once you open up techniques like the Chopra
thing which I had, you have a different view of your options down there, or up
there, or in there or whatever it is we are doing wherever.

So I get how you could take a position that he shouldn't say what he said in
the context of a TM center, but he was discussing it in a very different
context outside the need to maintain jargon or approve phrases.

Unless you are in a context where being precise about the teaching really
matters, or you are hanging around a lot of TMers, or you are just really into
being precise about your language of TM, it kind of drops away.  We are talking
decades of Vaj not trying to be precise about the language.  Decades of
adapting his memory of how people talk about TM mixed with his new
understanding of meditations that he currently practices.  Plus you are taking
this as some kind of test of his exposure to TM teaching, Vaj is just talking
here.  He obviously is somewhere the continuum of not giving a shit to actually
enjoying that you seem to believe he never was a teacher.

> There was an earlier thread in March that more or less
> began here with a post from you:

Yes,  this was the thread I was talking about. So check out Vaj's comment"

"His particular phrasing--which IMO the sensitivity and careful phrasing--is
all that is unique. But easy repetition of mantra itself is not unique at all,
although limiting oneself to just that slant on mantra, to the exclusion of
others, is a uniqueness (really a dogmatic narrowness) of the TM technique."

How TM insiderish does he have to be?  He is comparing the central teaching of
TM to other practices he has been exposed to.  And once you have some of the
advanced techniques or the Chopra technique, the simple formula of innocence is
altered.

If out of the blue I told you to think you mantra as if it is coming from your
heart, under beginner TM rules you might think this involves effort.  It does
not as evidenced by higher TM practices.

>From is next post:

Really, in terms of the technical description of how TM is practiced in the
initial technique--it's not truly like 'any other thought', as one is enjoined
to maintain mindfulness (or smriti to use the actual technical term) both as
the mantra first arises (waiting or "monitoring" for the mantra to "appear")
and one must be mindful to return to the mantra--otherwise one would
potentially end up never returning to the mantra, but remain distracted for the
entire session! This is not like any other thought. The level of mantra
repetition where mantra continues continuously like a spontaneous thought
actually is ajapa-japa: no effort or smriti, just constant ongoing awareness of
mantra 24/7/365.

This is like a deep experience discussion with Maharishi applying traditional
Sanskrit terms to TM with him concluding that it is an "effortless effort".
(Actual tape) It is a fine distinction between any other thought and the mantra
and I have heard Maharishi himself make such a distinction. The terminology may
not be movement approved for beginners, but Vaj has combined it with his
current perspective.  And in the end I get his point.  It is a valid
distinction.  Any other thought flows through my mind with no attempt to go
back to it.  The mantra has a special quality of attention that the obsessive
Hindus have a name for.

Here Vaj is bound to piss some TM people off:

"Technically the style of mantra repetition where one has to return to the
mantra still is called "faulty" or "defective" in Sanskrit since one has to
constantly re-engage the mantra as it is lost. It's one of the lower levels of
mantra practice."

So he is fitting TM into a whole perspective that demotes TM.  Maybe he is
right, I don't know.  But it doesn't mean he doesn't understand TM to me.

I just read your refutation of his point. This is why I didn't pursue this
discussion with you when I was making this kind of distinction.  The words are
so inaccurate that unless you are in good rapport with a person you end up
talking about different things, which is what I believe you were doing.  Your
points were fine, accurate for what you were discussing about TM.  But you were
not getting his point because you seemed too committed to correcting his
understanding rather than understanding it.  The posts reveal both your and my
lack of familiarity with Vaj's other meditations.  I believe that is the cause
of the disconnect with the language.  And I suspect there is probably a bit of
shaping going on as Vaj remembers TM which he considers a special ed technique
for short bus riders like you and me.

But you and I can both relate to how the mantra goes by itself in our
meditation through lots of practice which is different from what it was when we
first started and required more of our mind to keep it going.  Now we have the
neural pathway superhighway for repeating the mantra established and it goes
more effortlessly.  Which Vaj says is a higher practice so good for us!

> This is the post (in the same thread but further down)
> in which Raunchy first voiced her doubt that Vaj had
> ever done TM (and when I then commented to her that Vaj
> claimed to have been a TM teacher, she was astounded):

She was missing the same point I believe you were.  This discussion is a mixup
of levels of understanding.  And I don't mean that you don't have a good one
about your practice of TM.  I mean you are both mixing up levels of discussion
from the instruction to the experience in our advanced practice.  I have heard
Maharishi introduce the idea of an effortless effort.  What Vaj seems to be
saying is what we were discussing earlier.  We just start up the meditation
machine and don't have to come back to the mantra the way a new meditator does.
 I believe that this is what he is talking about.  But whether I am right or
wrong about that, it doesn't mean that he doesn't understand TM, quite the
contrary.  He is making a distinction between beginner and advanced practice of
mantra meditations.  And it is close to how I would describe my own actual
practice rather than the words used when I am teaching a new meditator.

> Follow that part of the thread for a few posts.
>
> BTW, I just reread a post of Tom's from back then. I'd
> forgotten that he also suspects Vaj was never a TM
> teacher, and he's a checker. So that's now five TM
> teachers, two certified checkers, and one trained but
> uncertified checker who are on the record. Plus
> several non-teacher TMers. Of these, only Nabby and
> Raunchy could be considered full-blown TBs, and
> Raunchy is a pretty idiosyncratic one.

I know this has been a popular perspective on Vaj for a number of reasons, but
I just can't make the jump.  He relates to me as an insider and I still haven't
found a reason to doubt that.

> Like me, she's much more offended by misrepresentation
> than by negative opinions. emptybill, I believe, no
> longer practices TM. BillyG does but he has no
> inhibitions about criticizing MMY. do.rkflex (who still
> practices, I think) is a Guru Dev devotee who doesn't
> have much use for MMY but who's a stickler for accuracy
> with regard to instruction in TM (and who would disagree
> with Raunchy and me if he could figure out an excuse to
> do so without compromising his own position).
>
> Lawson is another idiosyncratic TB who arguably has the
> clearest understanding of basic TM of anybody here. Tom's
> a demon practitioner (he should excuse the expression)
> but has lots of ambivalence and is hardly a TB in other
> respects.

I don't doubt that this list of people have their reasons to doubt but I just
don't.  It is so much easier for me to see him as a guy into TM who moved on,
who is still fascinated with TM and Maharishi as I am for his own reasons now.
It seems harder to construct the kind of person who would create such an
elaborate presentation.  And to what end?  To make us all believe that he is
into something better that we don't have access to?  He comes off as much more
normal and sincere than that to me.

> Anyway, finally, a post from me from December 2010, when
> Vaj brought the same "waiting" issue up again; my post
> quotes his extensively (you can track back to find
> his original in response to a post from emptybill):

> There are other bits and pieces here and there, but
> this ought to give you a pretty good idea.

This reinforces my belief that you are missing his point.  And it can't be made
without your interest in understanding it.  You had already made up your mind
that Vaj was an imposter and are not making an attempt to connect how his words
connect to your experience.  You are looking for any discrepancy to make a case
that he wasn't a real TM teacher.  You are deliberately ignoring his
clarification of meaning to go back to specific words used in TM to attempt to
make the distinction that they are not the exact ones used in TM instruction.
You don't want him to be making a subtle point about meditation.  You want him
to be wrong.

We are talking about the subtly of inner experience here.  I don't ever get the
impression that Vaj is trying to make a case for his previous involvement by
parroting the right phrases.  He is assuming that you are either on board with
his experience or not.  If you are not, no explaining will do.  If you are,
then you might understand the point he is making with regard to our experience.
 I believe it is an experience that you and I actually share in our
meditations.  But you can't connect it without rapport.  And it is even hard
for you and I to connect on this level of language and we share the same
practice!  How much harder if he is coming from a view of TM as a beginner's
step.  I am surprised he does as well as he does to connect it with our TM at
this stage.

You have been barking up the "Vaj was never a TM teacher" tree.  Vaj has been
ignoring that, not making a case to prove it, and has been pursuing his own
interests concerning meditatiton.

Remember, I am not conceding that I buy into anything Vaj has experienced in
his meditation travels as superior in a way I value to my homely TM.  She was
the one I brung to the hoedown I am fine spinning her around the floor.  I
figure that at this stage she is my best chance for a little somet'n sumet'n in
the back of the Ford before her daddy comes out to collect her with the
buckshot musket in his hands.

I don't expect this to be convincing for you Judy, but appreciate the
invitation to have another look at some of the evidence that leads you to
believe Vaj never was a teacher or maybe not even a TMer.  I still believe he
was and consider his insights into meditation to be a resource here with no
more diabolical agenda than to express his interest in meditation techniques.
I found this series of posts to be informative about my own practice.

And it could, in the end, just be the imprecision of language concerning
subjective experience that gets shaped when I read it into something that I
apply to my own experience in a way unintended by Vaj completely. We may just
all be talking past each other with little real communication going on like
each of us throwing out lines of poetry and each of us separately getting what
we can relate to out of it.  But it is a worthy endeavor to understand each
other concerning our inner experience, so I enjoyed the ride.