> > Also, there is the notion that everyone is
> > already 'enlightened' from birth, but many
> > are not 'realized'.

Denise Evans:
> The sunglasses analogy does make "logical" sense.

The notion that a person is 'born enlightened' is
a Vajrayana Buddhist point of view. It is explained
nicely in the Buddha's Lankavatara Sutra.

Vajrarayana is an absolutist philosophy similar to
Shankara's Adwaita Vedanta - Brahman or Nirvana is
the only reality - samsara is an illusion, maya,
avidya, not real, yet not unreal.

According to Shakya the Muni, every living being
contains, within itself, the Bodhi nature. Adi
Shankara and the Ramana Maharshi agees with this.

We are all born enlightened, that is, fully awake,
according to our karma. Yet, due to samkaras, that
is, karmic latencies, and cultural conditioning and
indoctrination, we immediately, upon opening our
eyes, fall asleep as it were, under the sway of maya,
in which we identify with change, and deny our
absolute nature, the non-dual bliss.

In short, we become materialists, and forget our
spiritual nature - instead we identify with the body
saying "...this is mine, this is my soul, this is
 my body", etc.

The Chinese philosopher, Chuang Tsu (c. 369-268 B.C.)
 said:

"I once dreamt I was a butterfly. Suddenly I awakened,
and there I lay like a man, myself again.

Now, which am I?

A man dreaming he is a butterfly, or a butterfly
dreaming he is man?"