The conclusion I've come to is that mental techniques, if that's all they are
(throwing in some simple pranayana exercises and some basic asanas don't really
count for much, other than some fun), can attach you to your own mental models
of reality. Slowly, over time, you invest more and more energy in this "mental
body" (manamayakosha), which is actually an illusory body. It's not real. Thus
you have TMers who become trance channelers or mediums who, convinced of the
importance of this reality, report back messages from their new found world.
The messages bubbling up for the unconscious are taken as messages from
important disincarnate beings, anxious to impart their supposed wisdom. Some
beings get so caught up in their believed reality they make livings out of
communicating back to earth these "important" messages. Some may imagine they
walk with their guru-hero or receive other important messages. Others mental
life may begin to impinge on their waking reality, and like induced Synesthesia
they believe they see visions. Their mental life and their subconscious spills
over into other parts of their life.

Thus the spiritual ego grows. Confront one of these folks about this growing
new ego, and you'll unleash a torrent of negativity at you. You see, they
believe it's spiritual.

But really, they've merely taken an illusory realm as "real" and enslaved
themselves. The enslavement becomes even more pernicious as thought-forms get
subtler.

>From what I can tell, people can get stuck in this for a lifetime. I seriously
>doubt that creating karma at subtler levels of our limited being is going to
>help anyone in the long run. Indeed such people, relying on a steady diet of
>their own subconscious often become overtly or subtly vain, narcissistic,
>prone to hypomania and numerous personality disorders: sure signs of
>not-transcending much at all, but instead trapped by the causative factors of
>a mental technique and acquired beliefs.

I bet Robin remembers of two brothers in FF who could channel in tandem (with
their eyes closed). One would stop and the other would pick up with other left
off. Wonderful people really, very fine people. But none of their predictions
ever came to be. It's like Scotty had beamed them into a disconnected dream
world from which they reported back wonderfully sounding facts, unrelated to
the world we actually lived in!