--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Tom Pall <thomas.pall@...> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 4:47 PM, Sal Sunshine <salsunshine@...> wrote:
<snip>
> > > Up until then MMY's take on diet was "eat what your
> > > mother puts before you."
> >
> > Typical.  Treating fully-grown adults like
> > children.

(I'm going to be charitable and assume Sal is making a
funny here rather than that she really doesn't understand
what MMY meant. Or maybe it's the present tense, "puts,"
that has confused her. I believe MMY used the past tense.)

<snip>
> And of course veggies grown for consumption at MUM are grown
> in hydroponic tanks.   Yeah, that's really organic, really
> natural.   Wonder how many people are developing trace mineral
> deficiencies?   Just how much iodine do plants synthesize?

Actually, hydroponically grown plants get all the minerals,
including trace minerals, from the nutrient solution in
which their roots are immersed (or that saturates the growth
medium) that they would get from being grown in soil.

In some cases they can get trace minerals from the nutrient
solution that *aren't* in the local soil. Iowa is part of
the so-called goiter belt because its soils are deficient
in iodine. If the hydroponics folks in Fairfield are at all
on the ball, they'll have made sure the nutrient solution
contains iodine. (Plants, of course, don't synthesize it.)
Only a very tiny amount is required, a trace of a trace.