On 10/19/2011 06:27 PM, authfriend wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu<noozguru@...>  wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> Nobody should have to go out of their way to format for web
>> forums.
> You're forgetting what happens when someone responds
> to a post via the Web site. The software adds hard
> returns to the end of every line (if there isn't one
> already) and two characters (>[space]) to the beginning
> of every line. The result is that longer lines get
> broken instead of wrapping, and it gets worse the
> longer an exchange goes on.

Totally unnecessary and bad coding on Yahoo's part.   I wrote word wrap
algorithms back in the mid-1980s.  I also assigned it as a coding lesson
for beginning programmers.  With HTML you just need the paragraph tags.
These days people are reading on smartphones which may have shorter than
72 characters per line.  I noted this with Turq's post looking at FFL
posts on my Android phone while at Starbucks.  His post would display a
line and then the rest of the line below.  Everyone else's posts wrapped
nicely to the screen.  Don't think I read any of your posts though.

> But the extra characters at the beginnings of lines
> make a conversation so much easier to follow; you
> always know who's written what by how many>
> characters precede the lines. The early BBS readers
> were so much better at this.

It's vertical colored lines on Thunderbird but I believe you have set
them to > if you wax nostalgia. ;-)