--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Sal Sunshine <salsunshine@...> wrote:

> On Nov 1, 2011, at 1:25 PM, turquoiseb wrote:
>
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bob Price <bobpriced@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Barry,
> > >
> > > In reference to your reviews, have ever considered what
> > > Truman Capote meant when he described Kerouac's writing:
> > > "That isn't writing at all, it's typing."
> >
> > No, but that's possibly because I don't recognize
> > one of the names in your question. I and most lovers
> > of literature recognize the name Kerouac, but who
> > is this Truman guy you speak of? Wasn't he that guy
> > who lived inside a big bubble that he thought was
> > the whole universe?
>
> Actually Barry the one thing of Capote's I think you
> might like a lot is his posthumous novel, Answered Prayers.
> The main chapter is all about "polite" people~~the crème de
> la crème of NY society~~all saying really shitty
> things about each other, with gusto :)  (They claimed they
> didn't know he was going to include them, thinly disguised~~
> he claimed they should have since he was a writer.) That
> chapter was published in the New Yorker, and Capote
> immediately found himself shunned, possibly hastening
> his death.

I admit to never having read anything by him, other
than enough of a quick skim or two in a bookstore to
enable me to realize that I find both his style and
his choice of subject matter pedestrian.

As for the article/book you mention, it doesn't sound
like my cuppa tea. I have high standards, since when it
comes to witty social barbs, my god is Oscar Wilde.
He understood the distinction between being a queen
and being a drama queen.