--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, cardemaister <no_reply@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradhatu@> wrote:
> >
> > Spoiled mantras
> >
> > H.H. Jagadguru Swami Swaroopananda, Shankaracharya of Jyotir Math
> > interviewed by David Sieveking
> >
> > Translator: When he did the TM course of Mahesh Yogi he was asked to
> > pay $2500. He was then seated in front of Gurudev's photo and given a
> > mantra. He wishes to know Shankaracharyaji's thoughts on this...
> >
> > Tell him your mantra...
> >
> > David: Shring.
> >
> > Translator:  Shring?
> >
> > David: Shring...they say it is the meaningless word but I found out
> > that it invokes...
> >

> > Translator: How do you spell it?
> > David: I'll write it for you...
> >
> > 2nd translator: He has also been told that the mantra has no meaning
> > and that he simply has to recite it [mentally].
> >
> > HH Swarupananda: This is not a mantra. Had it been Shrim i.e. S-H-R-I-
> > M, then it would have been a mantra.
>
> Sorry, but that seems like rubbish to me. IMO, the basic
> element of that category of biija mantras seems to be
> 'agni' read backwards: 'inga'. If the first/final a-sound
> is only implied, like in 'agni' (agniH/agnim/agninaa, etc)
>  for some sandhi positions,([a]gni/ing[a]), it might make that basic element
> even more effective?? :o

Whoa! The form '´gni' + any inflectional suffix (´gnim, ´gniH, etc.)
seems to be quite rare in the Rk. The first one we found was in
I 112, 1:

ILe dyAvApR^ithivI pUrvachittaye.agniM [ = puurvacittaye 'gniM] gharmaM
suruchaM yAmanniShTaye |

Griffith's translation:

1 To give first thought to them, I worship Heaven and Earth, and Agni, [ = I do
TM using a mantra "derived" from 'agni'??] fair bright glow, ***to hasten their
approach***. (That is,
the approach of Heaven on Earth? ;-) )

In this case the elision of the 'a' in 'agnim' is due to
the final e-sound in 'puurvacittaye', to avoid the (for Sanskrit)
awkward sequence 'e[h] + a[h]'.