One difference in our views I think is that I am not espousing intellectual
relativism. I actually do believe that my view of Maharihi's teaching is more
"right" more accurate, better than Buck's.  What I am advocating is a respect
for each other personally given that difference.  I can live with him feeling
the same way about his view I just don't want to be bugged to convert.  I'm
sure my Muslim friends, in their heart or hearts believe that my godless life
will lead to perdition ultimately.  But as long as we can keep the topic on how
to leaven whole wheat flat breads without ending up with coasters the
consistency of shoe leather, we can enjoy each other's differences.

I remember how interesting it was for me to understand the non evangelical
nature of Theravada Buddhism when I asked my religiously devoted GF at the time
if it bothered her that I was an atheist.  She was genuinely puzzled and said
"how could it matter to me what you believe about God?"  Doing more research I
realized that it is what you point out, whether or not followers are taught to
proselytize that makes all the difference.

I have the same problem with multi-level marketing.  It turns casual
conversations into business opportunities.  I hate living that way.  When I
find myself in a conversation with a stranger, I want to go the Dale Carnegie
route and find out what makes them light up in conversation because it is
talking about something they love.  The last thing I want to do is try to get
the to love blues or something.  I am looking for something that only they can
give me and I have to get out of my own way to find it.  I can't assume that
the most fascinating aspect of this interaction is ME and my preferences!