"Well, yes, but even among those who don't know themselves in the sense you're
talking about, some are more prone to deliberate deceit than others, no?"

I see a parallel relationship between the amount of deception a person
perpetuates and the cynical nature of their being. Someone who has essentially
given up on any further development for themselves will practice more self
deception.