> On 8/25/05 3:11 PM, "TurquoiseB" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> One thing is only obvious once one can gain some perspective
> >> (e.g. after one has met a real master of meditation or yoga) or
> >> simply has deep discrimination (between the real and the phony).
> >> Once one has
> >> met the former, it's immediately obvious what MMY represents.
> >
> > Just to be fair, someone should point out that what
> > you're calling a "real" master may just be one that
> > appeals to your sensibilities or predilection.
>
> But that is not what I am referring to. Consider for example
> traditions which demand you train in the specific experiences
> and learn them from someone who's 'been there, done that'.
> There is verification all along the way--if you're a "master"
> of something--there also should be a reason you are called that,
> not merely because you grew a beard and put on a silk dhoti
> and can rehash what the pundits feed you ;-).

Agreed.  My main problem is with the use of the word
"master."  I try to NEVER use it, because of its dual
meaning, and propensity for students to confuse one
with the other.  It's the same reason I try NEVER to
refer to someone "attaining" enlightenment or "reaching"
enlightenment, or "becoming" enlightened.  It's an
inaccurate and potentially misleading term.  So, in
my opinion, is "master."  Ick.  Never touch the stuff.  :-)

But you've got a point about being able to walk the
walk.  What I was poking fun at in my reply above is
the assumption that you've met a "real" "master."
As I pointed out to gerbal, hat's an assumption that
is based on your Experience So Far, and your personal
definition of "real" could change tomorrow.  That's all.

> If someone is a master they should have mastered the states
> they speak of and be capable of leading others to that
> experience, themselves being master of the various practices
> which are used for differing students. Furthermore
> they should possess the signs of such mastery.

That's your opinion, which I respect, but don't neces-
sarily agree with.  I am unconvinced that *any* teacher
inherently has the ability to lead others to permanent
enlightenment.  Lead them to experiences along the Way,
many of them having the qualities of enlightenment, no
problem.  But permanent enlightenment is not something
that anyone can be led to, IMO.  They have to discover
it themselves.  Just a language nitpick, but it speaks
to my own personal definition of a "real" teacher, if
I had one.  :-)

Bottom line for me is that people tend to get the teachers
their selves think they can handle.  At the point where
their selves get uncomfortable with the teacher, either
because the self is diminshed and doesn't need that
teacher any more or because the teacher is pushing the
self's buttons and it is afraid of diminishing, people
move on.  No problem, either way.  I don't believe that
there exists a teacher that can go the whole Way with
you, whoever you are.

> In a valid, living tradition none of this should be ambiguous
> or vague, but clear and present.

Should?  I thought we were dealing with real life.  :-)

> As a couple of us have mentioned on this list and a.m.t,
> this often means having a guru mantra so you too can become
> the guru. 'There should be no old students.'

Should again.  What ever happened to "different strokes
for different folks?"  And what about those seekers who
are not in any way turned on by guru yoga, for whom it
such a process is completely contrary to their predilection?
"Should" they be forced to submit to a process that is
not in line with what activates higher perceptions for
them, or might they be happier with an "uncertified"
teacher from a tradition that doesn't believe in "gurus?"

These are just question, Vaj.  You've been making declar-
ations again, and I'm not challenging them, within the
frame of reference that they exist in, merely pointing
out that there are other frames of reference.