--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, nablusoss1008 <no_reply@...> wrote:

Maharishi: People will enjoy this book. They will enjoy your insight.
VK: I haven't any insight. It's your wisdom they will enjoy, and they will
enjoy it all the more when set against my ignorance.
Maharishi: See what insight you have!

Robin: This, for me, proves Maharishi was enlightened. His delivery of irony is
pitch-perfect, and his sense of the reverberations of this remark, as it
travels throughout the universe, that too is gorgeously sensitive. This is
what—when Maharishi owned the acoustic of Creation (late sixties to
mid-seventies)—made me realize he was my Master. I didn't entirely realize this
until reading this exchange between him and Vernon Katz. That sense of humour
and irony it was impeccable in all the time I knew Maharishi.

I remember an exchange he had at Humboldt with Jonathan Shear about
existentialism where Maharishi essentially made the same point. JS: "Well, from
where I see it, it seems one way, and yet you are saying from where you see it
it is something else" [I am paraphrasing here]. *Maharishi starts laughing
almost uncontrollably*.—Which caused the microphone to move creating static,
whereupon Maharishi remarked: "See? Even Nature objects to this idea"
[paraphrasing again: Maharishi referring to the basic idea of Shear's as to
what existentialism meant in the philosophical sense; whereas Maharishi
interpreted "existentialism" in its purely ontological sense].

He was sharper and funnier than Letterman. The universe, the whole universe,
for awhile at least, thought him the consummate ironist. And he was.

This was my take anyhow. It was in the final analysis, the intelligence of
Maharishi which made me love him and surrender myself to him. You have to be
taking in a lot of reality to be meaningfully ironic.

Without a sense of irony what can one really say about what is real? A Saint
without a perfect sense of humour: that is almost an oxymoron. I believe
Chesterton figured humour an essential element in Christ's perspective on the
universe.

Lawson, have you read this book? Do you recommend it?

Thanks,

Robin