 From: nablusoss1008 <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, July 20, 2012 3:10 PM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: TM's biggest problem?

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Robin Carlsen" <maskedzebra@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, nablusoss1008 <no_reply@> wrote:
>
> Maharishi: People will enjoy this book. They will enjoy your insight.
> VK: I haven't any insight. It's your wisdom they will enjoy, and they will
> enjoy it all the more when set against my ignorance.
> Maharishi: See what insight you have!
>
> Robin: This, for me, proves Maharishi was enlightened. His delivery of irony
> is pitch-perfect, and his sense of the reverberations of this remark, as it
> travels throughout the universe, that too is gorgeously sensitive. This is
> what—when Maharishi owned the acoustic of Creation (late sixties to
> mid-seventies)—made me realize he was my Master. I didn't entirely realize
> this until reading this exchange between him and Vernon Katz. That sense of
> humour and irony it was impeccable in all the time I knew Maharishi.
>
> I remember an exchange he had at Humboldt with Jonathan Shear about
> existentialism where Maharishi essentially made the same point. JS: "Well,
> from where I see it, it seems one way, and yet you are saying from where you
> see it it is something else" [I am paraphrasing here]. *Maharishi starts
> laughing almost uncontrollably*.—Which caused the microphone to move creating
> static, whereupon Maharishi remarked: "See? Even Nature objects to this idea"
> [paraphrasing again: Maharishi referring to the basic idea of Shear's as to
> what existentialism meant in the philosophical sense; whereas Maharishi
> interpreted "existentialism" in its purely ontological sense].
>
> He was sharper and funnier than Letterman. The universe, the whole universe,
> for awhile at least, thought him the consummate ironist. And he was.
>
> This was my take anyhow. It was in the final analysis, the intelligence of
> Maharishi which made me love him and surrender myself to him. You have to be
> taking in a lot of reality to be meaningfully ironic.
>
> Without a sense of irony what can one really say about what is real? A Saint
> without a perfect sense of humour: that is almost an oxymoron. I believe
> Chesterton figured humour an essential element in Christ's perspective on the
> universe.
>
> Lawson, have you read this book? Do you recommend it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Robin

Hello Robin. Perhaps you are posting this question to someone else, but first;
I thoroughly enjoyed your response to those 3 short sentences, very nice, and I
think you caught that humour spot on. I've met a few yogis during my travels
and they all had a great sense of humour, but no one came even close to
Maharishi's. What a joy to have been able to witness such a great soul !

And yes, I'm reading it now, a very informal and joyous book. It's
conversations with Maharishi that Mr. Katz started to tape in between the work
for the publishing of Maharishi's commetaries on the Brahma Sutras that started
in Lake Tahoe 1968 and continued in Kashmir next year. They are inbetween
discussions on a wide range of topics such as CC, dissolution of stress, GC,
UC, knowledge of Unity, evaluation of external reality, Brahman consciousness,
experience and understanding, Maharishi's approach to the Brahma Sutras,
understanding and liberation, Brahman as the supreme authority, Shruti and
Smriti, The transition from God Consciousness to Unity, the bondage and release
of Brahman, amongst much else. Informal because it was discussions done when
time allowed, in a car, during meals etc.

This is volume 1 and yes; highly recommended !