The error message is probably getting used as a "catch all" error
message.  IOW, it may NOT be that the group has exceeded any limit but
there is traffic congestion on their server at the moment so that
message gets sent instead of a message about congestion which they
probably don't want to advertise.  I don't think the group has had any
abnormally high posting this week and indeed may be lower than weeks in
the past. I use email so don't see any such message but occasionally and
maybe a little more frequently when I click "Send" it will fail or
timeout after about half a minute.  I just click "Send" again and it
works.  That's usually congestion.

They might also be trying to migrate to a "cloud" server which could be
occurring with some problems.