 From: Robin Carlsen <maskedze...@yahoo.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2012 1:47 PM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Ramblings around Leiden

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Emily Reyn <emilymae.reyn@...> wrote:

Dearest Robin, RC, RC(C) (subscript or superscript - let us say that the "C"
stands for "compassionate" shall we?  Just add that to your many personas)

Emily1: You acknowledge me where I am, as I am, and you give me that gift.
Yes, I took on life, but in a rebellious way and now I am forced to take a more
gentle approach and I am pretty P.O'd when I'm not visiting the victim 'hood.

Robin2: I simply sought in my letter to you, Emily, to find you in my
experience, never knowing you in person. You engendered a certain feeling in
me, and I thought I owed it to that feeling, therefore to you, to follow that
feeling out to its natural and logical expression: which was of course to
express my affection for you, and my desire to have the grace of life somehow
heal you. Heal you, that is, to the extent that you can feel your present
circumstances are becoming manageable. Again, in trying to address you here I
am doing the same thing. Reality will have to do the rest. In a sense the very
reality which first dealt you such a blow.

I don't know objectively where words spoken to you from here in Toronto,
Canada, can actually be carried somehow to you and make themselves felt in some
way which creates even imperceptibly a difference—I doubt that. But I must do
what I feel I cannot not do. And that is just to follow my moral intuition
here. Essentially, then, I will be repeating the same act. But with no less
inspiration and intention.

Emily1: The inner drive, the energy that sustained me, my ability to write and
think for a living, my physical stamina - I depended on these things - they
defined me (took them for granted in hindsight.) These things have faded in the
last 1.5 years - my emotions took over, demanded attention, overwhelmed me.
Ahhh, WTF?  Is it the hormones, is it the family of origin issues, is it my
karma, is it the collapsed adrenal system, is it unprocessed grief, is it
negative entities taking over, is it the diet, is it lack of spiritual
discipline, is it that I am inherently flawed?  Self-forgiveness is the hardest
thing I do, or don't do as the case may be.  In my elementary understanding and
reading of well-known verse..."Jesus said, Father forgive them for they know
not what they do."  This helps me forgive others, but I give myself no such out.

Robin2: This seems an inexplicable and almost entirely gratuitous blow of fate,
Emily. I cannot discern how providence (the plan that God has for you—if we can
just relate to that metaphorically: which amounts to saying that "everything
happens for a reason"—a saying I recoil at, because it is so often uttered at a
level of experience that doesn't bite into reality at all) can justify having
deprived you of so much of what was strong and creative and masterful in your
life. This utterly confounds me, Emily. But I am not so naive as to pretend I
could possibly understand the causality of this—You have offered various
explanatory candidates for your present suffering and the enervation of will. I
suppose, I am just discovering this, I can only pray for you (In my own way,
which for me is just realizing that I care for you and want you and your life
to be different; that is, indeed, how I shall pray for you). I don't of course
have any personal
 responsibility in all this, but the fairness, the sincerity, the intelligence,
and the common sense in you seems quite remarkable to me. I have to respond to
you, Emily. You have said things in your posts, offered perspectives, tracked
your own sense of truth in ways which compel me enough to write to you
personally. And so I have, and so I am.).

Emily1: My new philosophy is "pay attention to the next indicated step."  It's
all I can do..show up for drill...try to stay present.  My memory fails
me....what is happening "now"?  Oh yeah, I have a dog and the kids are still
here.  Alright then, off to a walk in the park and a visit to the counselor.
Our new thing. (I'm a hard ass if you didn't know...my kids will tell you I
lack compassion.)  I said: "Either you agree to family counseling or you move
out.  Period. Oh, you are only 15 (to the youngest)?  I don't care."  They
believe me.  I'm firm, not always fair, and not always consistent, but they
believe me. It's my latest attempt to salvage the family and after today's
session, my oldest thinks there may be a glimmer of hope.  Small steps.

Robin2: What I get from this, Emily, is conviction, courage, and the
determination to respond to the painful and disquieting—and even
debilitating—challenge that is coming at you frontally in your life these last
eighteen months. And I sense that whatever is the specific efficacy of this
counselling, the very act of going through this process is itself an honest and
appropriate response to your predicament. I give you all my support, and I am
sure, whatever is the response of your children, they respect your seriousness
here, and your willingness to stand by your decisions—not just for you, but for
them too. I again send my prayers out to you, Emily. And to your children.

Emily1: You have been mentioning my name of late...every time, I say "What?"
"Do you mean me?"  "Seriously?"  "Where are my poetry books?" The last
philosophy I really remember reading was while on long passages on a sailboat
back in my 20's - Nietzsche, Kierkegaard and then the novels , Siddhartha and
Madame Bovary, as I recall.  Where was Jung? I should read Jung perhaps.   I
have so many books.

Robin2: *You* are a book to read, Emily. There is a lot inside of you, and I,
not with some sense of disconnected-from-life optimism, feel you must
eventually rise again to what for you will be an acceptable level of strength
and competence and ease in your life. It ain't easy being inside this cosmos.
And if it seems that way [to others], the anaesthetic probably hasn't worn off.
For you you are up against something very real and hurtful. But, no matter what
are the circumstances you find yourself in—this diminution of your own personal
sense of control over your life, your pecuniary status, your performance
professionally—there is someone with a will to struggle, fight, prevail—It is
there, and I feel this. So I cannot believe the trend is negative, Emily. And
there are persons on this forum whom I know feel the same way I do. The
thoughts we have about you, they have to make *some* difference. Because none
of us think you pathetic or weak or
 disgraced in any way.

Emily1: Now Robin, baby, I want to tell you that your posts always surprise me.
 All of them.  I look forward to reading them.  I am so happy you are here for
now.  How funny the Iranitea exchange was.  How fabulous is Share to chat
unconditionally with you.  Unlike Marek, I don't see FFL as a violent place -
all that makes me laugh.  Not unlike today's Prairie Home Companion.  They did
the skit on conflict avoidance that was so funny.  Share, are you reading this?
 This is for you.  You have to imagine the voices of Garrison Keillor and the
typical radio female of that show.

http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/programs/2011/10/08/scripts/sailboat.shtml

Robin2: "Sailboat" with GK—this is a kind of remedy in itself, Emily! So good.
Loved it. Glad this came your way. More exercise for SL's philosophy!

Thank you for your comments about my posts. I am not really sure about the
reasons why I post at FFL. But I suppose it has everything (at least this is
what I *think* it does) to do with finding myself and testing out the
existential philosophy that is post-TM, post-enlightenment, and of course
post-TM. There are some very good posters here—I mean quality human beings—so I
feel grateful to Rick for inviting me to post. I have learned a lot; it has
made me stronger—and, I think, wiser.

Besides, I have the opportunity given to me right here to give myself to
someone through my intense desire to alleviate some of your suffering and
despair.

We love you, Emily!

Emily2: On FFL, the currently departed Mr. Price helped me claim and own pieces
of my past and places I had been that I had hidden far away from others for
many long years.  He gave me the gift of forgiveness and I love him for that.
You give it to me as well.  I allow it in when outside, in the trees, at the
beach.  The ocean is so extraordinary - subtly and vastly different at every
beach - it cares not about our little concerns - it is relentless in it's
beauty. It washes over me again and again and I cry in gratitude.

Robin2: Yes, that BP guy, he was very very good. You should contemplate doing
TM so as to draw his wife back onto FFL to encourage you to take up the
practice—that way we might draw him back into our world. But I doubt it. Just
playing there, Emily—and I know you knew this; but that was a very impressive
letter "Mrs Price" wrote to you about TM and edifying I believe for all FFL
readers.

I don't get to see the ocean much these days, but I spent two-thirds of my life
on the west coast, and the ocean meant everything to me. Alone walking along
St Augustine Beach, or the beach of St Simon's Island, or even South Beach,
Siesta Key in Sarasota, and of course my favourite beach, Naples: these have
all been more than a substitute for once living on or very near the ocean for
most of my life. The ocean has that kind of "murderous innocence"—it reminds me
of just what you say: its "relentless beauty". And while it is true it looks
upon us indifferently, I conceive of why there is even an ocean, and then I
think there was a maker of the ocean. And for me, Emily, that means
there—somewhere—is the maker of Emily—the maker of your children, and the maker
of this moment when my heart tries to understand your own heart.

Robin

 suffered as you