Hey Robin,
Thanks for your reply.  Sort of an indulgence when other stuff is going
on here, but a few comments.
As you know, many times I read posts rather quickly, and may miss some
nuances.
But I don't generally try to argue with,  or analyze "funny".  I like
"funny" and usually I will take it a face value.  I found Barry's post
to be funny.  And I thought it delivered some well deserved pay back to
you and Judy.  Sorry about that, but that's what I felt.  Let me look
down below and see what else there might be.  Hold on.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "maskedzebra" <maskedzebra@...>
wrote:

> Dear Steve,
>
> Wait for your letter; but I couldn't help myself: This one word is the
best (and most ironic) response there could be to Barry's ID
impersonations. Therefore, you realize how far you are from
understanding irony when you see it [irony]. Had I thought of this one
word as a response to Barry's post *I would have eagerly seized upon
it*.

> That is, me, Robin, would have decided this was *better than anything
that I could come up with* to remain consistent and intelligent in all
that I believe about Barry.

> The problem here, Steve, is you did not understand my essay on irony.
If you had you would have realized that *it is incidental* if the irony
is in the service of one's own opinions, biases, predilections-or is
against them: for something to be ironic, it is only *up to reality
itself*. The moment you begin to obrain delight in something someone has
said about someone else, *there is no reality there, Stevie, boy*. For
irony impersonalizes everything; puts a person into a unknown experience
over which they have no control.
I am sure this is correct.  Barry's post, I am sure did not meet these
parameters.  But I wasn't evaluating it on that basis.
> Barry did not interface with reality; he only interfaced with himself.
Ergo, he voided the irony potential altogether. You can't do irony from
some conviction of feeling--you have to do irony from a strictly
disinterested and impartial standpoint in the universe: you have to let
reality *represent itself*. (Even if your starting motive is some strong
affect.)
Well, we will disqualify it as irony, and put it in the slam category.
> If you loved Barry's posts (re: me and the editor dame) then it
certainly was "perfection" for YOU. But it had nothing to do with irony,
for if Barry's post had been suitably and objectively ironic, *you would
have had an experience over which you had no control*.

> Irony only works on *its* terms; it has no favourites.
>
> The irony that Barry attempted failed. And why did it fail, Steve?
Because it just gave you a great experience of satisfaction that Barry
seemed to be getting back at Robin and the editor dame. But that is not
what irony is all about whatsoever; irony has to be so good that the
person who deploys it can laugh as hard at what he or she has said or
written--as if someone else has said or written it. And the victim, he
or she, too, has to fight not to laugh--*at himself or herself*.
> There can be no ambiguity when irony is going on, Steve: Barry's post
did not touch me--*even as I would have been instructed and edified if
it had*--and I would look forward to that experience.

> If you're going to write an anti-Book of Mormon you have to find the
same metaphysical formula that Stone and Parker found to write their
play. But at the same time you have to go one level higher. Barry's post
was like someone going hysterical about the possibly implied atheism of
Stone and Parker--and calling them names because of this.
I can work on that Robin, right after we pay off the mortgage and get
the kids through school, (oh, and clean the garage), but it should be on
my list at some point.
> What Barry had to do to make it here, Steve, was show that Mormonism
on its own could make more fun of Stone and Parker's *The Book of
Mormon* than the play had succeeded in ridiculing the LDS Church.
Hey, you know, The Book of Mormon is playing just up the street from me
at the Fox Theater.  Or maybe it just finished, or maybe it's still
coming.  From what I've read it sounds like a great play, but I probably
won't be able to see it.
> Irony is an entirely objective phenomenon. It is an equal opportunity
phenomenon. Which means that Barack Obama could make fun of Mitt Romney;
but if Mitt was going to have a comeback (if he was as upset as Barry
was on behalf of his friend), he would have to *take in the irony
potency and after-effect of the ironic remark of Obama*, and then go one
better--or at least hold his own.

> Your rejoicing at Barry's post just proved how irony-challenged you
are, Steve--not from some organic limitation--but from some flaw in your
approach to reality: you haven't figured out how to look for the complex
secret in every moment when there is a conflict like this.
Robin, I think you've hit on just one of my flaws.  But as someone used
the phrase here recently,  I've got bigger fish to fry.  But thanks for
letting me know that in addition to improving my FPOT, I need to work on
better identifying irony.  Anything else you care to bring up in that
regard?
> While walking this morning (not knowing about your post here) I had
the thought: I should impersonate myself (as Barry or his friend); in
other words *attempt exactly what Barry attempted* but show him how it
was done. Mock myself, then, Steve! I think I could do a pretty good job
of it.
That would be great, but I think you are running short on posts.
> And that is the trait one seeks above all in trying to master the art
of irony: that one ruthlessly sees the contingent possibility of sending
oneself up AT ANY AND EVERY OPPORTUNITY; therefore one is always in a
potentially ironic relationship to oneself when one acts in the
world--or posts at FFL.

> You should consider this idea, Steve. It would save you from the
unconscious Monty Python grotesquerie of this very post of yours. But
that said, I wish I had said this very thing.

> Much love to you Steve,
And the same to you.