---  "Robin Carlsen" <maskedzebra@...> wrote:

> "The explanation by standard evolutionary theory of the purely physical
> characteristics of organisms is hard enough even if one disregards
> consciousness. [T]he physical and functional complexity of the results
> imposes very demanding conditions on a reductionist historical explanation.
> The theory of natural selection, if it is to rely only on the operation of
> physical law, has to postulate that there is a purely physical explanation of
> why it is not unlikely that accidental mutations in the genetic material have
> generated the range of variation in viable phenotypes needed to permit
> natural selection to produce the evolutionary history that has actually
> occurred on earth over three billion years. Like any historical explanation,
> it will embody a great deal of contingency, so the particular history of life
> will not be explained by evolutionary theory alone. But the contingencies and
> their effects have to be consistent with the physical character of the
> theory. And to complete the link with physics, the explanation has to suppose
> there is a nonnegligible probability that some sequence of steps, starting
> from nonliving matter and depending on purely physical mechanisms, could
> eventually have resulted in a replicating molecule capable of all this,
> embodying a precise code billions of characters long, together with the
> ribosomes that translate that code into proteins, It is not enough to say,
> 'Something had to happen, so what not this?' I find the confidence among the
> scientific establishment that the whole scenario will yield to a purely
> chemical explanation hard to understand, except as a manifestation of an
> axiomatic commitment to reductive materialism." Nagel pp. 48-49

Nagel misunderstood evolution and got it completely wrong.

There is a certain set of "laws" in nature and that gives
nature a certain intangible intelligence however impersonal
it might be.

In that context Darwin's theory with all it's proof and
evidence is not 'reductive materialism' and it's not
reductionist at all.  Darwin's theory has to be seen in
tandem with all other theories in science starting from
quantum mechanics.