> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Robin Carlsen" <maskedzebra@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, awoelflebater <no_reply@> wrote:

> > > Thanks Judy, at least I spelled Vaughan right even if the
> > > Jimi was lacking. But however you spell them, they are two
> > > magnificent guitarists and raise adrenaline levels in me
> > > when I hear them play.
> > >
> > > And by the way, your knowledge seems to know no bounds when
> > > it comes to cultural, literary and current worldly goings on.
> > > Not to mention your ongoing commitment to accuracy and broad
> > > viewpoint. And here I thought the symphony and opera were
> > > your areas of expertise.
>
> Hey, thanks for da kind woids, but I know almost nothing
> about guitarists. I just happen to have had friends who
> knew a lot. They'd have found the notion that preferring
> SRV to Hendrix was "heresy" hilariously ignorant.
>
> > Yeah, I'll certainly give her that: she's smart. Knows a lot.
> > She makes me more careful than I otherwise would be if she
> > weren't around. I am sure she is a very nice girl.
>
> Trying to recruit me, are you, Zebra Boy? Think I was born
> yesterday? Think I fell off a turnip truck? Well, I'm not
> so green as I am grassy-looking, so back off, buster.

Now, I may be missing the irony here (if there is some), but what was there in
what I wrote above which would warrant this kind of response? I think here,
authfriend, you have over-reacted. I said what everyone here knows--But I
suppose you are essentially addressing that sentence, about my innocuous
conjecture that you are a nice person.

In any case, authfriend, I assure you I was not trying  "to recruit" you. You
are unrecruitable, as far as I can tell. You have, however, left me with a
dilemma: how is it  you refer to me by my proper name when you are translating
my philosophy to other posters, and yet here, you name me "Zebra Boy"? As
someone who tries to probe to the truth of things, I must admit to being
stymied in the attempt to understand why you would invoke this appellation.
It's maskedzebra, by the way [I am sure you knew this].

Please allow me to apologize if I have insinuated anything here which you deem
inappropriate. I don't know if you are a nice person at all, authfriend. I only
meant that from your posts one could not be confident in asserting the contrary
of this. Is that better? I certainly hope so. I think someone is safer not ever
becoming personal with you: Stick to content. That shall be my watchword from
now on if I have any experience [from reading your posts] which would tempt me
into saying more than I should say.

"[B]ack off, buster": I find that almost ludicrously incongruous to what my
intent was in making my reflections, authfriend. But again, you seem fine with
explaining my philosophy to others here: I think maybe only a
psychoanalytically-trained therapist could discern the reason behind your post
here, authfriend. That said, I think you're just terrific in every way. OK?

Of course, if you were somehow just being playful here--and there is some
double entendre going on, then I confess to not getting it at all.  But I feel
I should just play safe here and say: I am sorry if I said anything which you
found untoward, authfriend.

I certainly hope that the Gide-Claudel correspondence did not confuse you.
Re-read that letter of Stevens to his daughter. And William Carlos Williams,
authfriend, don't you think he took  "young feller" in the right spirit?