 From: turquoiseb <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2012 7:01 AM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Fw: The Science of Compassion, for Wednesday

> Your comparing mindset of TMO to the Inquisition which
> included physical torture and killing says more about
> the truth of your extreme and unresolved feelings about
> the TMO than it does about the truth of the TMO.

No, in actuality your comment says a lot about your
ignorance of the Inquisition and how it worked. I'm
somewhat of a scholar on this subject, having studied
it for many years.

Very *few* of the activities of the Holy Inquisition
involved physical torture or murder. What they specialized
in was *mental torture* and the use of psychology to create
an atmosphere of fear in the people. The purpose of the
torture, when it occurred, was NOT to get people to "confess."
They were already guilty the moment they were called before
the Inquisition. The purpose of torturing them or getting
them to "confess their sins" was to create an effect *in
the people watching from the sidelines*. This is written
about in some depth by the Inquisitors in the manuals they
wrote for training purposes.

In other words, they wanted the people they brought to
trial to rat on other people, to create an atmosphere
of fear in those other people, and proactively keep them
in line. They also wanted the ones they tried to serve as
examples of "what's going to happen to you" if you don't
toe the line.

I would submit that the TMO's policies are *very much*
designed to do exactly the same things.