> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, laughinggull108 <no_reply@> wrote:
> >
> > I'm sure Robin enjoys a good argument as much as anyone
> > (and who doesn't like to win that argument!)...
>
> Actually, there are quite a few people who don't like
> to argue, period, much less "win" or claim to "win"
> those arguments. It seems to me that to even entertain
> the concept of arguing one has to 1) be attached to
> something strongly enough to argue it, and 2) be attached
> to one's view of that something strongly enough to believe
> that it is "right" or "correct" or "true" or even "more
> true" than someone else's view. In other words, there has
> to be a shitload of ego present to even *want* to argue.

There may also be an even bigger shitload of ego in a
person who is, underneath all the ego, afraid he doesn't
have the chops to argue successfully for his perspective.
Rather than take the chance of losing the argument and
dealing with that blow to his inflated but very shaky ego,
he pretends he refrains from arguing because he's so
spiritually advanced as to not be attached to his point
of view.

> > ...but it takes two to tango, and if there's no response to
> > someone's post or comment, then it usually ends at that
> > point (unless you're Buck and respond to your own posts!).
>
> Or, as has happened several times, if the person wishing
> to perpetuate the argument writes five or more posts
> totaling literally tens of thousands of words berating
> the other person for bailing on the argument and stating
> what a terrible person they are for doing so. Just sayin'...

Yeah, let's correct this fantasy. Robin had two very long
exchanges with Curtis (neither of which Barry read, so he
substitutes his fantasy for observation). In both, Curtis
was a willing participant.

The first exchange *ended* after Curtis decided to bail on
the last installment. There were no "tens of thousands of
words berating him" for bailing. Robin did reproach him for
bailing in a couple of subsequent much, much shorter posts
that were not part of the long exchange. In the second,
Curtis chose not to respond directly to Robin's last post
in the exchange (although he tried to argue some of Robin's
points with others), but Robin didn't berate him for doing so.

The two long exchanges, contrary to Barry's fantasies,
were substantive; they were not about Robin berating
Curtis for bailing on anything.

<snip>
> In this respect, we're alike then. I honestly don't
> understand someone who feels that they need five or
> six posts in which to state their ideas. I usually
> get it right (or at least right enough to suit me)
> in the first post.

IOW, Barry's ideas aren't complex or profound enough
to require more than one post.

<snip>
> I will say that I think you're being either a bit
> naive or overly confident of your "seeing" abilities
> here. If my assessment of NPD is correct, you would
> never be able to see the "real Robin" even if you
> were with him in person because for the NPD sufferer
> there IS no "real" personality. It's all a series of
> masks or acts...ALL of it. Every word, every action,
> every feigned emotion.
>
> OF COURSE I could be incorrect in my lay diagnosis,
> but I'm sticking with it for now until I perceive
> a radically different pattern to his interactions
> with other people.

In other words, Barry is *not* considering the
possibility that his lay diagnosis is incorrect.

It *is* incorrect. As raunchy just pointed out, it's
Barry's projection of his *own* painfully obvious NPD
onto someone who seriously threatens his fragile ego.

<snip>
> Especially the irony thang. One way of looking at the
> overuse of irony is that it's a way to give oneself
> the ultimate "out." You can basically say anything
> you want, because if someone calls you on it you can
> then just say, "Oh...did you take that seriously? I
> was just being ironic...couldn't you tell?" :-)

Problem with this is that a number of the folks here who
read Robin's posts have no difficulty discerning when
he's being ironic. Barry is pitifully irony-deficient.