--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, navashok  wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend"  wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, turquoiseb  wrote:
> > >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, navashok  wrote:
> > (snip)
> > >
> > > And thank you for informing me. I assumed that someone
> > > just made a stupid error, but now that I've looked up
> > > Hinglish and seen how widely it is pervading the culture,
> > > including mainstream English-language newspapers, your
> > > explanation rings more true.
> >
> > This is quite delicious in its absurdity. I suspect
> > navashok was attempting to make a funny with his
> > ridiculous explanation, but Barry fell for it hook,
> > line, and sinker.
>
> I don't think he fell for it, rather he was politely
> playing along.

No, he fell for it. He'll claim otherwise, of course, but
he'll be lying. Note that he didn't "politely play along,"
he actually denied your assumption that he had had the
same thought you did:

-----
> It is just the perverted western mind/intellect of
> Raunchydog who feels the need to make a big story out
> of it, but hey, we know better than this ;-)

Well, I didn't. I was just pointing out the article
itself, and how Woo Woo passes for 'News' in a major
Indian newspaper. I thought that 'perennial' was just
the icing on the cake. Who knew that it was an example
of the degradation of a language.
-----

> He of course knows the meaning of a smiley.

Most of his smileys don't indicate he's joking. They're
stand-ins for a smug chortle indicating he thinks he's
delivered a stinging putdown.

He assumed your smiley stood for your pleasure in having
"corrected" raunchy and me. If he'd realized you were
joking and was playing along, he'd have responded with a
wisecrack of his own.

(snip)
> > The pineal gland, about the size of a grain of rice, is
> > found deep in the center of the brain; no air in there
> > to lock in. On the other hand, there's no gland
> > associated with the perianal region. Most likely "locking
> > the air in his...perennial gland" is an ignorant (both
> > medically and yogically) attempt to refer to locking air
> > in the anus.
>
> > Nice try, guys, but no cigar. ;-)
>
> No cigar for you, as you have no idea of yogic pranas, so,
> no air in the anus here as you may assume. In yoga there
> are 5 different types of prana. Certain pranas, commonly
> but sometimes wrongly translated with 'air' or 'vital airs'
> are related to Kundalini and the Chakra system. Here an
> example that connects pituitary gland and pineal gland:

Sorry, doesn't fly (if you're serious, that is). There's
nothing about the pituitary gland (also deep in the brain)
in that article.

It doesn't matter what the article writer really had in
mind; whatever it was, he or she got it badly wrong.

> "Pituitary Hint"
>
> 'Within the spinal chord

("Cord," not "chord.")

(snip)
> > Oh, and for the record, the Wikipedia article on "Hinglish"
> > cited by navashok refers only to Hindi words being
> > incorporated into material in English, and English words
> > being incorporated into material in Hindi, neither of which
> > is the case in the newspaper article.
>
> It's a very generic term. It doesn't even have to be Hindi. It
> refers to a South-Asian form of English. 'is a hybrid of
> English and South Asian languages – it is a code-switching
> variety of these languages whereby they are freely interchanged
> within a sentence or between sentences.'
>
> For example:
> pre-pone: the opposite of postpone, to bring something forward in time
> co-brother: brother-in-law
> don't contain any Hindi, but are simply exclusively derived
> from English words, but used in a typical Indian way
>
> > Nowhere does Wikipedia
> > suggest Hinglish involves English words being mangled in
> > material written in English.
> >
> see above

Let me say it another way: Nowhere does Wikipedia suggest
that Hinglish involves English words being mangled in
material written in English (as was the case in this
article).