--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "salyavin808" <fintlewoodlewix@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Ann" <awoelflebater@> wrote:
> >

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "salyavin808" <fintlewoodlewix@>
> > wrote:

> > > Nope. Are all christians, muslims insane because they don't apply
> > > logic to their view of the world? Some would say yes, I think that
> > > in an absence of structured and tested knowledge about the world
> > > all sorts of nonsense can creep in and be taken as fact.
> > >
> > > And in a science-savvy world, these religious sci-fi concepts are
> > > to be expected. Believing that Marduk is an extraterrestrial is no
> > > stranger than believing in astrology or crystal healing.
> >
> > I think you are taking this past where I was going initially. I was talking
> > about the particular  post made by GN which cited a particularly wild
> > assertion by Sasha Lessin regarding the Earth having been nuked by aliens a
> > very long time ago. In case you have lost the initial guffaw-inspired
> > reaction you no doubt had when first reading this little gem let me refresh
> > your memory:
> >
> >  "3,663 years ago, Yahweh, known then as Enlil, a 9 -12 foot fully Homo
> > Sapien ET from the Planet Nibiru, 49 astronomical units from Earth, ordered
> > nuclear attacks on the people and cities south of the (thence) Dead Sea in
> > Canaan and on a spaceport he ran in Sinai. The fallout immediately blew over
> > and killed most of the Sumerian Earthlings--those loyal to Yahweh."
> >
> > If you would like to continue to defend statements like these as perfectly
> > in line with other beliefs that run rampant among the human race, be my
> > guest. But all I'm saying is that I am pretty sure that anyone who would
> > believe this particular theory isn't likely to be having afternoon tea at
> > my abode; I prefer not to hang out with crazies.
>
> Sure it makes me laugh but no more than Jehovas witnesses,
> scientology or spoon bending. It's all about whether you have an
> evidence based view of the world or a belief based one.
>
> But do you think it's somehow different from biblical beliefs
> about God smiting the caananites and the fiery chariot in Ezekiel?
> The old testament is where the new age get their inspiration. The Xtians
> weird beliefs seem normal simply because they've been with
> us for longer and have become a tradition. And don't get me started
> on flying machines in the Vedas, I'm sure Nabby will tell you that's
> all proof of extraterrestrials.

I agree with you; we are surrounded by lots of " fantastical" theories and
religions and ideas - some of them chronologically older, some of them younger.
Many are based on nothing scientific or concrete. Many I ignore, most I have
never heard of and some I was brought up with from when I was a child.

I don't take very much of these things as indisputable truths and I think about
and analyze, to some extent, all of the ones that I come into contact with.
Some are outlandishly funny but might be true. Some I think are true but am
aware they could be, in the end,  preposterous fairytales. I certainly respect
people's right to believe and tout whatever theories and beliefs they want but
it won't keep me from rejecting those beliefs or laughing uproariously at them.

> If all ideas were fresh, which would you think crazy? Afternoon
> tea might be a lonely experience for you. Me, I don't care what
> people believe as long as it doesn't hurt anyone, and my new age
> friends who believe in all sorts of channeling and weird shit are
> no different from my TM friends or my Christian ones, as long as
> they don't try and convert me they'll get scones and jam on my
> best china for sure.

I also think there is a difference between thinking something is crazy from
thinking something unlikely or sensing something mired in dogma and therefore
ill considered. I was actually initially using the word "crazies" as a
catch-all and general term not really indicative of any highly analytical
description of any one specific person or belief. "Crazy" is a very, very
relative term.