Conventional medicine says only a very small percentage of the
population suffers from gluten intolerance while some naturopaths have
it as high as 60%.  The truth is probably somewhere in between.  A
gluten free is not that hard to do if one wants to try it.  I tried some
gluten free muffins and bagels a couple weeks back because they were on
sale at what you might pay for muffins and bagels regularly.  I don't
think I'm in the percentage that has the problem though.  But then I do
eat lots of corn products, rice pastas and rice.  It's always good to
mix things up a bit just to avoid developing an intolerance.