---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <turquoiseb@...> wrote:

 IMO any attempt at a standardized dress code or uniform is an exercise born
out of fear, and in the direction of suppression of individuality. This is as
true in the military as it is in cults. They make soldiers wear the same
uniforms so that they'll become "uniform," and follow orders. They do the same
thing in cults and religious traditions.

Interestingly, there have been a number of anthropological and sociological
studies on uniforms and uniform dress, and they all seem to indicate that one
can learn a lot about "groupthink" from how the group tries to costume their
thinkers. For example, in the police or the military, the more black and glossy
and clean-pressed the uniforms, the more Fascist and control-freak the
organization is. In cults and religions, the more asexual or non-sexual the
group "uniform" is, the more they fear and are obsessed with normal human
sexuality.

No one here should be surprised that I don't think much of uniforms, or of the
notion of "unisex" clothing as a positive thing. In any environment, but
especially in the TMO. Whether it was Maharishi saying "Wear your suit at all
times...even to the beach" or the shunning that took place when a woman wore
something other than a shapeless, floor-length gunny sack to a meeting he was
in, it *always* struck me as stupid and reactive and as a way to try to force
the followers to make themselves fit into Maharishi's own desire and limitation
pigeonholdes. He wanted his male teachers to look like businessmen because he
was always more interested in business and making money than anything else. And
he didn't want women looking like women because he was attracted to them, and
couldn't admit that. So he wanted them to hide their bodies the same way he hid
his desires and his actual predatory seductions.

I don't agree. Dressing conservatively, ie in a business or work attire,
implied the wearers of such attire at least had a few bucks to their name and
were probably employed, if not employable. It indicated, through their style of
clothing, that they were productive and therefore upstanding members of
society. Back in the early days it was still hippy time so many younger adults
were more likely long-haired and festooned in tie dye, Moroccan embroidery and
sandals (which, at the time, was considered rather shocking and revolutionary).

 As far as the women were concerned your "theory" on why MMY recommended their
conservative attire is out to lunch. It's just some mean-spirited projection.
No one was forced to wear gunny sacks and those that did would have most likely
chosen them anyway whether they were in the TM movement or not. Once
fashion-challenged, always fashion challenged. In fact, the entire western
world in the 70's and 80's was pretty hideously attired.